Monday, August 16, 2010

The Mormon Battalion, The Island, and, of course, cupcakes.

The rest of Thursday was spent doing random things, trusting the GPS and yelp to get us everywhere we needed to go, and hoping we didn't die while I learned to merge California-style. (Truth be told, it's kind of an adrenalin-rush, but I really don't mind driving there at all. )
We first went to the Mormon Battalion visitors center in Old Town. In 1847, the US Army asked for 500 volunteers to go west for the army for the war with Mexico. Brigham Young prophesied that if they were faithful, they would never have to fight, but that it would be a great way financially to get their families out west. It turned out just like that. It was a rough rough march, but they learned irrigation techniques, brick-laying techniques, and provided a great trail out west. The visitors' center has just been re-done and is really cute. The little movies were so fun, and the little sister missionaries were cute, too.


Next stop was Coronado Island. I'm sure there are things we missed here. It was quaint, but mostly we just drove across the bridge (very cool) and went and ate. Brigantine got great yelp reviews, but it was really just another "ok" restaurant on this trip. It was during this meal that I wondered if I've had too much great food in my life because I wasn't so awesomely impressed. Our service was great. Our Spinach Brig salads were perfection, and I even had two oysters, just for the novelty. They were great, too. My mom had blackened sea bass and I had mahi mahi, both of which were just ok.

So then. We got cupcakes.
The GPS led us through the San Diego jungle until we dropped in downtown to BabyCakes. Really, I was full, but you just can't ignore a store called BabyCakes. I ordered the pistachio and the signature babycake. I think I got a strawberry, which was not good. But the signature one, which was chocolate with cheesecake on the bottom with cream cheese frosting was stinkin' AMAZING. I ate half that night and the other half for breakfast. :-)

2 comments:

RC said...

I read all three posts and was so glad that you two had a great time together. It is amazing that mother and daughter could do this and enjoy each other that much. I am so glad you took mom to eat sushi so I wouldn't have to! Thanks for being you and showing mom how to have fun doing things she wouldn't do without you. I would have loved to have seen the wet suit!!

Jessica McIntyre said...

There is a show on the Food Network called Cupcake Wars and I think the owner of Baby Cakes was on it. Super fun you went there and that cupcake sounds amazing.