Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The Cinders



After Vegas I actually went to work for 3 days, and then, it was time to play again. Off to Flagstaff!!
Ok, in case anyone missed it, Jonmark likes to ride.
It used to be dirt bikes and surfboards and snowboards....
And now it's quads.
And anything else that can compare.
Hence, off to The Cinders.
The Cinders is kind of like sand dunes made from a volcano. It's in Flagstaff which is awesome 'cause it's like 2 hours away and it reminds me of Idaho. The mountains and the trees are pretty much as therapeutic as the ocean for me, and it was heaven.
Now, my experience on ATV's consists of being about 14 and going on little trails at family reunions in Island Park. It does not consist of going up and over crazy hills and mountains. Or at least it didn't.
We did manage to get stuck within 20 minutes of our first ride. Which was a little scary as I unfortunately think the worst from all the people I've seen in the hospital. But luckily we found some cool people on sand rails to get us unstuck and bring us back down.
The second consisted of a lot of sightseeing in Flagstaff and driving around before we finally loaded up and got to riding. These are some of the beautiful places we saw:


And this was my view after Jonmark said, "You should video this. Hang on tight! I'm gonna haul!!" (It was probably the safest trail to do that...)

After a few hours, we headed back to camp. Some people in the ward had brought up his quad, and we ate dinner with them before heading back. It was delicious!
After dinner, one of the older guys offered to take us on a night time ride on his sand rail. We went up this hill:
Hundred Dollar Hill Video (not us)
Hundred Dollar Hill Picture
Yeah. It was a little crazy. The sand rail had a corvette motor and 510hp and we seriously hauled up this thing. Going back down I looked to the side and realized the world was at a 45 degree angle. A beautiful one. I totally felt like I was in a movie.
Anyways, we had a blast. If I knew how to make a dirt bike sound right here to sign off, i would. You'll have to imagine it instead :-)

5 comments:

RC said...

This place looks extremely like Sunset Crater only that is a national park and I am sure they do not allow quads, sand rails, etc. up there. Where in Flagstaff is this place? I lived there for several years (when I was ten - thirteen) and NEVER have heard of it. You forgot to mention how one wheelchair bound young man was so sore from all this extreme riding that all he wanted to do was rest and take pain pills afterward. Knot heads!

indeazgirl said...

It is Sunset Crater- or about 2 miles away from it. And Jonmark is JUST FINE. I think my dad might have just wanted to do the same afterwards :-)

MindySue said...

Alright Christin, if you don't. I will. You know what I mean.

RC said...

Have you forgotten your father is a man of steel?
And Mindie I need to know what you are going to do if she won't. Driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Emily said...

I got engaged in Flagstaff. Did you know that? I'm not even making that up.:) I was rock climbing, though, not 4 wheeling, as we Idahoans call it.