Monday, May 23, 2011

Vegas Baby!! - Day 1

So school is over. And I've decided to take a hiatus. Maybe a long one. Which has freed up my schedule a bit to do fun things. Like go to Vegas. With boyfriend. To see Phantom.
Because of all the things I've done and seen in my life, I've never seen The Phantom of the Opera. Not the movie. Not any performance. Ever. And Jonmark loves it. And sings it. Well. But that's a different story. Phantom plays every night at the Venetian. Which is where we almost stayed, except that it would have been like a million dollars.
So instead we stayed (click here). It used to be the old St. Tropez, and it definitely was an old hotel that seemed like IKEA got a hold of. It was really fun. And the pool was awesome. And so was the DJ who played all day long.
I knew Vegas was a Jonmark place when he came into my room at noon shouting, "Wakie, Wakie!! There's a pool party at noon! Whoo-hoo!!" (We didn't get in until like 2 the night before).
So I got up and got ready and headed off to Planet Hollywood for Earl of Sandwich. Brittney from work said we HAD to go there, and she was totally right. The sandwiches were delicious!


Then off to Sephora because I forgot my bronzer. And the one place pale girls don't want to go without bronzer is Vegas....And Jonmark talked me into this:

The lipstick. Not the picture. I seem to do this about once a year. And then remember how utterly impractical red lipstick is. And how it gets in the way of kissing. And gets on my teeth. And makes me self-conscious. It is, however, a great red. For special occasions.
I also bought a shirt that seemed very Vegas to me, which is somewhat hard to do when considering sleeves and hemlines, but I was excited. I also curled my hair with my flat iron and was very very proud (How sweet is the Venetian's bathroom?)

And Jonmark found a sweet shirt 15 minutes before the show started at Banana that was half off and I had $30 in coupons, so, um, yep. It was free. So sweet.
Phantom was PHENOMENAL. The auditorium is created for it, so it's all very exciting and just awesome. I snuck in one picture....

Next we went to eat at Canaletto still in the Venetian. Our waiter was actually from Italy and was so cool and friendly. We had caprese and pasta and seafood. And it looked like this.


And it tasted like YUM. And there was even a pigeon for authenticity! (can you spot it?)

And then.... TAO!!!
Tao is the nightclub in the Venetian. It was just rated #1 in Vegas and we really wanted to try it out. I've never been dancing in Vegas, but I wanted to, and Jonmark really loves getting his groove on :-).
The line was crazy long, and so while I went outside to look where the end was, Jonmark asked the usher where the line started. The usher asked how many of us there were. Then suddenly the two of us were being ushered to the front of the line, past all the people who actually had to pay to get in, into the elevator, and up to Tao. The place was definitely vegas, and so so crowded, but the people were all really cool. I never knew quite how much attention a girl could get from dancing on the lap of a guy in a wheelchair. (p.s., mom, it was really REALLY crowded. I was literally being shoved constantly. There was no where else to dance!) We didn't stay for too long, but it was so so fun.


And then we went to the parking garage. Where we stayed for 2 hours because neither of us could remember where we parked. And we were led all over the place to different garages until finally we broke down and asked security to go find it. And they did. On 7b. In between the 7th and 8th floors. In a weird dumb place that I still couldn't figure out how to get to so I crawled up through the steel ropes and then drove it back down. Never ever ever will either of us ever forget to remember where we parked!!

6 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

Party shirt I see! ;) No wonder I loved it!

YAY Tye-Die! ;)

Katie said...

Fun!! Phantom is amazing.

RC said...

You know I have never seen any version of the Phantom but then again, culture is not my high point. I did not see any pigeon in your food but it did look like one left an offering on your plate! Glad you had fun.

Suzette Selden said...

Sounds like a fun adventure as always. You always do such fun stuff! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Everything looks fabulous except the red lipstick:0)

Sweet Em said...

Sounds fun. Waiting for part 2!!