Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Microwave Cookout

ATTENTION MINDY: Jonmark and I are back on.

Moving on....
so Jonmark has begun his healthy summer diet. I suppose I have started it with him, as I did finish of the last of my Butter Crunch Blue Bell earlier. (Also, I thought I might have had a little chest pain associated with it, so I went running, too.) Afterwards, I met up with Jonmark after some work appointments for a workout.
Then we stopped by his mom's house for a bit and for our post-workout meal.
Jonmark and I eat very much the same. We eat veggies and fish and chicken and brown rice and pride ourselves on being pretty healthy. (Even if we might eat a lot of taquitos. Guacamole=avocados=good fat.)
The difference in our eating is that Jonmark can make these things quickly. Like in a microwave. I generally take about 30 minutes longer to cook anything, at which point I've likely consumed enough sugar to balance out the healthiness. (Hence, Brad yelling "I'll make you a sandwich! I'll make you a sandwich! every time I get hungry.)
Oh, and I eat butter on my rice and veggies. That's different, too.
Today, however, Jonmark made a delicious discovery. Now, Jonmark's mom is 73. She has a few idiosyncrasies. For example, she loves the dollar store. LOVES IT. And yesterday she discovered Sweet Chile Garlic Sauce. Today Jonmark discovered it.

He put it on his rice and green beans. I was skeptical. "No, really! It's good! Try it," he said. "It's like Chinese food now!!" Oh boys.
While eating this delicious Chinese food, I myself made a discovery. It was this:

Following a questioning look, Jonmark said, "She gives money to save the Jews."
Um, what?
"Yeah, she might be overdrawn like crazy and have no money and she'll still give money to the Jews. She feels she'll be blessed for saving God's people- kind of like tithing."
I don't know why this struck me as hilarious. I think it just struck me as the absolute most random thing anyone could ever do. Especially a 73-year old American Mormon woman. Really? Is there a special Jew in your life? Did you ever visit Israel? Or, for some reason, it just is your sweet mission to help save the Jews? Whatever it is, I'm glad she does it. And so are they.
It was the best random cookout ever. And I even learned how to cook tilapia in the microwave (not with the rice).

6 comments:

katilda said...

hahahah i hope when i am old i donate to crazy random causes like that! Also....your descriptions of food made me very hungry. I love the things you eat! yes yes.

RC said...

Would you tell her that your dad's name is Carbiener-stein? Maybe she would throw a few bucks my way. Good to talk to you today. Hope you have a good day.

MindySue said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

And I didn't even get a text. Scceecchh!

bradleyjohn said...

Funny. Brealynn's mom cooked the rice in the microwave Sunday. Who knew that was even possible?!

Anonymous said...

I remembered the song! Two days later, but still. It's called Stronger. Which, I'm guessing, you already know. But that's cool. Miss you!
Ariana