Saturday, October 01, 2011

I'm Not Going to Be a Nurse Anymore!

This is Angela "taking" orders from one of the new doctors.
She did not have a great night. 
Ok, so technically a Nurse Practitioner is still a nurse, but it's my blog, and we're not getting technical. As of the 20th, I am no longer a hospital employee. I no longer start IV's, do hospital admissions, fetch bedpans, hang antibiotics, or administer STAT ativan. I no longer work 3-12's. I no longer sleep during the day. I don't miss all of it, but heck yeah, I will miss some of it.
Sally brought the BOSA donuts.
They were amazing!
My last day felt a little like my 30th birthday celebration because, well, I'm still the same person. We had Sprinkles cupcakes, donuts, pb&j, and veggies. Three of my closest co-workers/friends who didn't work that night came anyway. My three patients gratefully slept solid for two straight hours while we sat in the break room and reminisced over our crazy stories from the last 4 years. I just couldn't believe (and still can't quite completely) that this was my last day here. So many RN's have nightmare stories from their jobs and mine has just been such a blessing. I've loved my co-workers, my patient-nurse ratio, my schedule, and even our crazy patients and their awesome stories. I have journaled far too less of it all.
I waited to cry all night, but didn't. Until I hugged JM good-bye in the morning, gave morphine for the last time, and walked down the hall by myself. My eyes welled up a little bit as I thought of all the things I learned here the last four years and the great memories I'll take with me.


Typical story-telling. Larry, me, Bridgette, and Brittney in the break room.


Me, Bridgette, & Brittney. Love these girls so much. 

Me & JM
Bye, Scottsdale Healthcare! Love you! And Thank you!

1 comment:

RC said...

I am glad you remember the good things and the stuff you learned. So much in life happens in small steps. It was a huge one moving to AZ from Boise, leaving school and going to work like a grown up, learning the ropes of the nursing role and excelling at it from all accounts. Now you are on to another journey at which I am sure you will do well. Please don't forget the people that helped you along the way. Bridget and Larry and all the rest were an instrumental part in your working life. We love you and are proud of your accomplishments but more so of the person you've become.