Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bunny Cake


Once upon a time, I had a friend. Who said to me that "bunny cake" was his favorite part about Easter. Although my mom may have made the coolest birthday cakes ever for us, we never had bunny cake. I'd never heard of it. Since asking around, though, I have learned that about 50% of Mormon moms make bunny cake for Easter.
This friend is John. I emailed John's dad. Here's the recipe:
FAMOUS EASTER BUNNY CAKE ... 1. a regular yellow cake mix 2. white frosting (canned) 3. coconut 4. make one round layer and the rest make in cup cakes 5. cut round layer in half (after baked & cooled) and put icing inbetween and stand up on side (body of bunny) 6. 1 cupcake for the head 7. ice the body & head 8. cover with coconut 9. cut out paper ears from construction paper (white) 10. use tooth picks on ends of ears to hold on to the Bunny 11. use Jelly Beans for eyes & nose 12. ice & decorate ther rest of the cupcakes to put around bunny.

Well, Vanie, loves coconut and John was having dinner at his house (with a new girl....), so I decided I would make two. (I didn't google it for fear of stifling my own creativity. Or running into a blog that demonstrated a masterpiece I could never live up to.)
Even though the ratio of cake to cupcake head didn't seem quite right to me. And the head and the legs and the tail being the same size seemed odd. I did make the frosting by the myself. And they were DELICIOUS bunny cakes. Even though one looked a little like a dinosaur and the other like it got hit by something (the cake completely fell apart when I took it out of the pan) It also just looks a little fat and lazy.

So, for your enjoyment, may I present:
"Bunnysaurus" and "Roadkill Bunny"



Happy Easter!! (And for more fun, click here)

p.s. Just for the record, I DID google bunny cakes today. And there are WAY worse ones than these :-)

OOPS I FORGOT! Two classic reactions:
Annette: "You know. This is good. It's a little different than what I expected it to look like." (completely straight-faced)
Gabby: "That's a nice...............bunny?"

5 comments:

RC said...

The cakes looked "creative" and it is so good to see you smile again...love you kiddo.

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

Can you mail me a bunny cake? ;)

katilda said...

your "fat and lazy" comment made me giggle. Also i'm just now noticing the descriptions of people's blogs along the side. And i'm dying. "Camille is 23. She thinks she needs to be married." haha

Brad said...

"If you wanted to paint her picture, why didn't you have Brad do it for you?"

I guess my reaction might not have been up to par, but when I hear you are going to make something like bunny cake, without looking at a picture first, I am kind of anticipating a bunny-saurus, or something that would resemble a Yeti's pet monster. And you didn't disappoint. You never disappoint.

Bonnie said...

I am so sad that you don't remember that your mom DID MAKE YOU A BUNNY CAKE FOR EASTER!!I put little jelly beans around it on "green colored coconut":0(