Sunday, November 13, 2011

Peacock Proud





So quite a few months ago, I found a groupon to Carrie Curran art studios. The deal was, you go to a class for 2-3 hours and everyone paints the same painting while they tell you exactly how to do it. It seemed like a super-fun date idea, so I got it. And then let it expire. (It was kind of hard to match up exactly the painting I wanted to paint with the day I could. See here. ) But this Thursday, they were painting a peacock, and I really wanted to do it. I called and begged. They let me use my groupon. (Ok, I really didn't have to beg too much.)
Class started at 6:30, which I thought would be good since I got out of work about 5:00. But then it was 5:30. And usually, traffic isn't that bad going north at night, but maybe I just don't go THAT north. Because it was terrible. And I got lost and was 5 minutes late. I called Jonmark on the way there crying (not literally) that I was starving and to PLEASE bring me some food. You are actually supposed to bring your own food and drinks. Most people just bring wine.  Jonmark suggested we get pizza delivered to class. I told him he was a genius. (He was running late, too. We met there. We had to.)
So, class was so fun.
We were basically so impressed with ourselves even though I had to tell myself to not get anxious by the abstract-ness of the feathers at the bottom. Seriously. I was so scared to ruin it :-) And, for full disclosure, they did have us trace the top half of the peacock body with a stencil. Even though, really, we had a demo and I'm pretty sure I could have done it just fine (we used a little charcoal pencil).
Jonmark putting on the finishing touches
Intermission

Jonmark was the one person who refused to use the stencil. Which is why his peacock stands a little straighter and looks a little fatter than mine. And even though girl peacocks are really brown and boring, we like to say his is the boy peacock and mine is the girl. My mom and brother can really not believe I painted this. And all Jonmark and I want to do is go back and paint every painting there. (It was so much fun!) ....Good times, noodle salad. 
My finished product

3 comments:

RC said...

The painting is pretty good but the bird looks like she gave you a stencil for a large quail instead of a peacock. Tail had good detail and color by the way. Since I can't draw a straight line I have no room to critize. Good job you!

Bonnie said...

I hope you both take some other classes! I think you found a hidden talent:0)

Jess said...

Your peacock looks beautiful. What a fun class!!