Friday, January 13, 2012

So Handy

So, we've talked a few times on this blog about all the good household items I've acquired over the years: pink tools, electric screwdriver, first-aid supplies, super glue, and lots of misc. kitchen stuff. However, despite all these helpful items, I have somehow made it to 32 without this item:




A carpet shampooer. After some thorough research on amazon and a recommendation from a prior roommate, I am the new owner of a Little Green Machine. And I Love it. (Side note: I went to Wal-mart for this purchase. I pretty much never shop at Wal-mart, but one of my resolutions is to try to be a money maker and not a money spender, so I thought my frugality should start with this purchase. I just got on Target's website, though, and I may have only saved $1. Oh well. My card got declined there (at Wal-mart), which made me laugh. It was on fraud alert. hahaha. That's what you get for detouring out of your routine.)
So I got that, and some screws and zip ties at Home Depot. (more on that later.)
As soon as I walked in the door, I set to scrubbing up 9 little spots in my entry way that had been driving me crazy for about 6 months. And it worked awesome. And over the next few days, I cleaned my couches. Now, I've had my couches for about 8 years. They have been scotch-guarded and spot cleaned, but never deep cleaned because I can never bring myself to pay a hundred or so dollars to have someone clean them. It took hours and hours, but they look brighter and fluffier, and, well, so much cleaner.

And then, I had to attend to the pig. See, for over a year now, I've wanted a light-up Christmas pig. Last year they were all sold out. But this year I got one at Big Lots in November. I was so excited. But even though the idea was amazing, the design was flawed. And all its parts (like its legs and head) kept falling off. And unfortunately, this Christmas was the only Christmas of my life I didn't decorate at home. Chalk it up to being busy or distracted or to being in Idaho for 9 days, I didn't so much as buy a Christmas tree. Or attend to my pig. But last week, after a little time and 17 zip ties later, Gunther the Christmas Pig was ready to ring in the New Year! He looks amazing.

Gunther The New Year's/Christmas Pig
And for my last little handywomen feat, this is my new shaving cream. BTW, Target Soy shaving cream is by far the best I've ever used (and I've tried a lot). Unfortunately, when I opened up this bottle, the cap had fallen off and it wouldn't work. So I busted out my leopard duct tape, and it's worked like a dream ever since. whoo-hoo!





p.s. If you're wondering from my last post what a headliner is, it's the fabric on the ceiling of your car. And mine started to fall off right above the driver's seat, which was HORRIBLE to me, as it might actually be a sign that my car is 12 years old. So, after consulting with Brad, I peeled the molding back, peeled the edge of the fabric back until I could see the space inside and sprayed it full of spray adhesive. Then I took a ruler and smoothed the fabric back in place. It's not perfect, but it's close. And the Altima gets to live another day!

5 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I am pretty sure that they are days that I need to do something silly like clean carpets and I don't....However about 20 min of ignoring it there comes a little voice in my head that says, "Christin would do it."

You are wonder woman I tell you.

bradleyjohn said...

I love that you start off your new year frugality by going and purchasing a $88 dollar vacuum.

I know it's amazing, and you wanted it. Still funny.

Tyler and Ariana said...

I have never seen a Christmas pig before, but I love it!!! I also love your leopard print duct tape. And your Altima. Because if you drove anything besides your Altima or a big boat of a red Chevy BelAir, I'm not sure I'd know what to do.

<3 Ariana

RC said...

So I'm wtching DIY on TV right now and took a break to read this while they are demoing some disgusting kitchen these unfortunate people have and now I see my daughter could start up her own tv show! Way to go on cleaning and fixing and being frugal??

Katie said...

I must try that shaving cream!!