Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Back to Idaho- For Grandpa

Last week, I went back to Idaho Falls. Quickly, and somewhat unexpectedly. Because my Grandpa had quickly, and somewhat unexpectedly, had died. He was 87 and living with my parents and had dementia and it was hard. Hard on them to take care of them and hard of him to miss my Nana. And so, Sunday, after ribs and "60 minutes" and scripture study, he died in my parents' home with them. On Nana's birthday. He was my last grandparent. 
The funeral was different than my Nana's. At Nana's us Carbiener's were falling apart. Nana was like the magic of childhood and holidays embodied in a person. Grandpa was her quiet supporter and admirer. We knew he was ready to be back with her. After a few years of watching someone get older, you forget some of the amazing things they did when they (and you) were younger. It was awesome listening to his friends at his funeral talk about the things they learned about testimonies and service and dedication from Verdean. I learned about his patience as we learned that his kids and grandkids had crashed 3 cars. And he never got mad at them. I remember this picture. I remember that that summer I was Grandpa's "Little Buddy." We fed horses together and rode 4-wheelers and I felt so so loved. My grandpa was a little less effulgent (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for) in his love for us than Nana, but then, guys of that generation were. I have one letter from my Grandpa. My mom told me to save it, because he didn't write letters and it would probably be my only one. It was. The memory I asked them to read at his funeral was how pleased he was that I won a small scholarship just because he served in World War II. He was so excited he could help me. And so surprised that it mattered what he had done. So Bridget will remember my Grandpa's jumpsuits. I will remember walks with Grandpa in Bullhead City and him sitting at his desk in the family room and his powerful prayers and his strong hands that reminded me of hard work and love and Jergen's. And I will feel so blessed to have had my grandparents. And to be part of the legacy of Verna and Verdean.  
The military rights and 21 gun salute at the funeral were so cool. I think you all know I have a special place in my heart for "old guys" and I loved all these guys in the back.
Especially fourth from the right. This generation is simply the best there ever was. 

3 comments:

RC said...

That was a pretty good descriptive account of the funeral and his life. Good job with this one. I am glad you have those good memories and the honor you gave your grandfather. He was a good man overall and did his best always. The honor guard was the BEST part of the funeral and it made me tear up again looking at the picture. The men that served in the armed forces are the BEST EVER! Let's never forget them or your Grandpa!

Bonnie said...

The other day, I just was overwhelmed at ALL the things my parents had done that I admired. I realize even more now that they are gone, how much their lives were totally for their children and family that lived before them. I looked up to heaven and gave them a "thank you for all you did for me" shout out. I felt a little better.

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I do love his jump suits and how darling he looked when he slept. I truly think how wonderful a person he was just by the fact then when I was around him all I wanted to do was hug him...Typical of everyone single person in your family....pretty neat to see where it had come from.. xoxo