Sunday, June 03, 2012

Paddle Surfing- Party on the Lake!

So Memorial Saturday came and went with no big excitement. But Vanie and I really didn't want to let Monday get away from us. She and I had both wanted to take my raft to Tempe Town Lake for about a month, but neither of us had had the day off together. Monday we did. Along with 3 of her friends. Who came to (Kirk is kind of both of our friend; he changed her flat tire in the morning, and then we were off!)




















First off, since we were with boys, they decided tying DOWN the raft would be much too much work. We would just turn it upside down and hold it instead. Holding the handles did NOT work. Holding onto the rope did. So we drove 2 miles to the lake holding the raft. After we parked, we all went to jump in. And I realized that I THOUGHT I had a 6 person raft, but really it was 4. And even though these were not big guys, the fifth person had no interest in getting in. Instead, he tried to swim. And then got tired. And then we paddled way way slower than before. And finally made it across the lake. 
Then, it was time to rent a paddle surfboard! Yay!! I had wanted to do this forever (don't ask me why I didn't in Jamaica. I'm obviously crazy). But I was STOKED I could do it so close to my house. :-) So Chris (who had worn his American flag tank top for the occasion) came with me to the boat rental shack. Where we realized we needed a credit card and ID, neither of which we had. 
Back to the raft. To devise another plan. 
Kirk, Chris, and I would raft back across (this is a tiny lake by the way. We're not talking miles here). Kirk and I would jump out, go to the car, drive to the rental shack, and get the surfboards with his cards. Chris would paddle back across by himself. 
Good plan. 
Except that Kirk forgot his flip-flops and parking was kind of a pain. We found some socks in his trunk. That helped. 
We saw a lesbian couple. I said I didn't think they were. Then they held hands. I was wrong. 
Kirk decided to rent a hydrobike. 1- because it was so cool and 2- because the chance of dropping his iphone and wallet in the water was essentially zero. 
Excellent plan. 
Paddlesurfing went even better than I thought it would. I thought I would fall off a couple times, but I didn't. Well, once I did, but that was when we hooked the surfboard TO the hydrobike and did a figure 8. Otherwise, it was awesome.
Anyways, we laid around, ate fruit and popchips and had an absolute blast. (Doesn't Vanie look so excited to be in the water.) Here's to paddlesurfing, rafting, and America!




Vanie so happy. All right, so the water is gross. 


Happy Memorial Day!!

6 comments:

Tyler and Ariana said...

I absolutely LOVE that you did this. Sooooooooo much. Wish we could have joined in! You do the coolest things.

RC said...

It was a little random, even by your standards BUT at the same time it looked like a blast! I'm glad you didn't let the entire weekend go by without doing anything. You really need to get out more.....(yes, that was VERY sarcastic!) I'm also so glad that Vannie enjoyed the yucky water so much, those Persians, you know....

Suzette Selden said...

Your arms look amazing by the way!!! Miss you cutie!

Suzette Selden said...

Jon & I got stand up paddleboards, and we take them out on the lake all the time. They are the best and so relaxing.

bradleyjohn said...

Oh I remember our good outings on the lake. Next time we're definitely in.

indeazgirl said...

Suzette- I love that you guys got paddleboards. I so need a garage soon :-)
And Brad- of course.