Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dodging Lasers, Exploring My America, and Attempting to Sing. With Brad.

This was a sweet weekend. And not at all what I had anticipated. My to do list looked a little like this:
Work Friday
Go to Target
Workout
Buy Hair Stuff
Work Sunday.

This is what happened instead: I got called off of work on Friday night. I wasn't actually scheduled for tonight. So Friday night, Brad's friend Marie, who is very cool and just got engaged, threw a laser tag b-day party for her fiancee. It had been about a decade since I played laser tag (over Spring Break in Kerrville, TX)! But it was way fun. I shot 42 people. And got shot 38 times. Perfect. I was 12th out of 36th. Because, you know, your rank in Laser tag means everything.

Then we went and played The Office board game, which was actually very fun.
Then.... off to Big Bang, a bar here where there are 2 grand pianos and they play any song you want by request. It was very fun. John and I went and hung out with Bridget and her new boy.


We got home around 2 and then John went home....he had to work in the morning. :-( . And Brad announced to me that we were going to the Grand Canyon at 7. So on 3 hours of sleep, I crawled into the car. Me, Brad, Tyler, and Ariana, and her brother Anders, who we picked up in Flagstaff.

The Grand Canyon was very cool. It definitely is a lot of rock. I know that seems silly, but lots of AZ is brown, and this Canyon is no exception, although I know there are several geologists who would be appalled at my lack of appreciation of the subtle color variations. It was pretty, and I am looking forward to a future overnight backcountry hiking trip. It's going to be sweet. If we can get the permit. And decide when to do it.
The coolest part may have been when Brad and I decided to climb onto this cliff. It looked about 85 percent safe, so we both decided to climb on out. It made for the sweetest pictures of the trip.


Next to this one of Ariana.



We got home tired, but the weekend wasn't over yet. Brad's friend from NJ was in town with her fiancee (yep, there's a lot of engagements around here lately) and she was in the mood to Karaoke. Now, those of you who know Brad and I know that we are not known for our singing, and granted, I wasn't about to ruin everyone's evening with a solo. But John sang John Legend's Ordinary People, Brad and i totally rocked Garth Brooks' Rodeo, Ariana and John did Promiscuous Girl, and Brad and John basically made everyone's night with Warren G and Nate Dogg Regulators. Awesomeness. The night ended with a group rendition of "What's Love Got to Do With It." Perfection.
We all stayed up late and Brad and I went to church on about 3 hours of sleep. And then we came home and took 5 hour naps.
Work hard.
Play hard.
Rest hard.
:-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not gonna lie - you and Brad rocked Rodeo. And John and Brad should sing some Warren G and Nate Dogg all the time.

Sweet Em said...

YOu gotta love Mormon kareoke! Without the beer you actually know how bad you sound, but still do it! Awesome.

MindySue said...

That sounds like SUCH a blast! Can I live life vicariously through you? PLEASE!?!?!?

breymom said...

I didn't know you were out risking your life while my computer was down! Those are some amazing pictures I couldn't believe it.