Saturday, March 07, 2009

What Might Happen if You Sleep Through Spinning Class

So a few weeks ago I joined a new gym, and I love it. The people who work there AND the people that work out there all seem like the kind of people I would actually enjoy hanging out with. In-shape, medium-sized people who are around my age. And it's brand new. So I love it. One of the reasons I joined this gym was because it had spinning classes and my other one did not. And then I got sick and didn't go. So I set my alarm this morning for 8 to go to 8:30 spin class. And then I woke up at 9:30. I have no idea what happened. But I texted John because I was mad and told him I missed it, and his reply was,
"You could just go for a bike ride on a beautiful day! Remember what the outdoors looks like?"
Oh yeah. I HAVE A BIKE.
So having no excuse, I asked him if the greenbelt went as far north as his work. Yes, it did. Yes, I could stop by. So I got on my bike, on yet another gorgeous 65 degree day and biked 11 miles north.  
I sat around at the Resort where he works and smelled the orange blossoms and watched a hummingbird and a bunch of busy bees and John working.
I met a church group from Church of Grace on the way back who all were very nice and we rode most of the way back together.
All in all, it ended up being a 4 hour excursion where I biked 2 1/2 hours and 22 miles. On an absolutely beautiful day.
Speaking of which....
Since I've moved here, I've been a little peeved at the fact that no one smiles or waves back when I go running. I try several times and rarely do I get a response. But earlier this week, 3 people- THREE- Independently and of their own accord smiled and waved at me. On the same day.
Lots of thoughts went through my head:
  • Is running getting easier and I look less stressed than usual?
  • Does my smile look more genuine?
  • Is it the 4 sailboats?
  • It is Tuesday right?
  • Do these highlights really do that much for my workout face?
  • And lastly, is this what March is like?
And after the happy people I met today on my bike, I've decided that yes, March is like this. And it is now my favorite AZ month. The days are a little longer, the weather is just a titch warmer, and everybody smiles quite a bit more. 



3 comments:

breymom said...

Good for you that resort sounds fun and what an amazing bike ride I'll think of you when I'm on my windy rainy bike rides!

Anonymous said...

I think it's the abs diet. It's given you a hot person workout glow...

haha! Actually, really, it's probably just March in Arizona. It really is the best month ever!

RC said...

The best month, the best bike ride and the best daughter. What more could anyone want??!!