Wednesday, September 02, 2009

I thought I would make such a good little hippie...


Because of school last week, I had every evening off and school every day. So I went to Food Inc and 500 Days of Summer. Food Inc inspired me to eat locally; 500 Days of Summer made me want to go buy adorable dresses. Not a bad idea, either way, I think.
So Saturday I woke up early (again; I was in the habit by now), and went downtown to the Phoenix Market via light rail. Again.
A little description of why I like riding the light rail:
1- It's new, which makes it cleaner and more exciting
2- I feel all kinds of earth-friendly
3- I can read my assignments or other books on the way there and feel very productive
4- There are all kinds of people to people watch. My favorite are the ones who get off for work at 3rd and Washington. They look so professional, which makes me feel, kind of,
like...
5- I'm in Manhattan. Or at least I kind of pretend that I am. I think of the subway every single time and feel so big city, even though lots of times I think Phoenix is kind of a boring big city. So in my mind this gives me the chance to act out my big city fantasies, and it feels great. And I fell in love with this one building and desperately want to live on the top floor and have two of those windows to myself.
MOVING ON!





To the Farmer's Market. This, I decided, could be my hippie day off my 101 things list. Public transportation, a dress, a farmer's market. That seems like it should count. Except that I forgot my SIGG water bottle and my canvas bags. Who uses plastic at a farmer's market? NOT hippies!
So I ended up looking a little like a Manhattanite trying to be a hippie. I bought pears, watermelon, Japanese eggplants, dates, a sweet potato and an onion. And some flowers. And then realized I wish I had my stinkin' car. I was carrying 20 pounds of stuff in downtown Phoenix in crappy little plastic bags. And it was so crazy hot! And I almost lost my camera.
But I didn't. Brad came and picked me up from the stop near home, and that night Brad and I improvised our first meal in a while and had eggplant, mushrooms, and onions sauteed together with basil and olive oil, chicken, and Couscous mix from Trader Joe's. So delicious I think it might have been worth all the hard work!

3 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I am all for hippies.

And you made me so proud.

RC said...

My little girl a "hippie"? I don't think you'd a made it girl. Far to "establishment" to be a real flower child. Good try though and nothing like a good fantasy to spend your day.

Camille Elise said...

That first picture is fun!