Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Treasures at Fort Cove

The eleven-hour ride home on Friday was littered with little adventures. You see, I realized on the way up that I never stop at those brown "Historical Marker" signs, and I hate it. I always want to stop there, but life is always too busy. So I decided on my way back I would stop at least a couple times. And this decision landed me at Fort Cove.
Somewhere between Park City and St. George lies an old fort built by Mormons (specifically Gordon B. Hinckley's grandpa) to protect them from Indians. However, they ended up being friends with the Indians so they just used it to feed and house weary travelers instead. And grow cute gardens. And now, it's a cute little tourist attraction that houses 9 (NINE) senior couple missionaries, all very happy to take you on a tour. Even if you only wanted a five minute stop. Here's a couple pictures of me and my senior missionary couple from Historic Fort Cove:


I also made pit stops for jerky and to see the Colorado River flowing through a beautiful canyon. I saw an old pioneer church and ate at a terrible cafe that announced "We Proudly Accept CASH ONLY." seriously?!?!



I drove all along Highway 89A, which was beautiful, and listened to my first book on tape, Sheri Dew's "No Doubt About It," which was excellent. Maybe more so because she read it herself, which I thought was cool.
I got home at midnight, but was so glad to have had such a great ride home.

3 comments:

Katie said...

So did you like Elk jerky or Buffalo jerky better? :)

indeazgirl said...

Elk was more moist actually!, but my brother said usually elk is terrible. I guess I got lucky there....

Suzette Selden said...

I love all of your adventures. You are the best. I hope your next one ends up here in Austin.