Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday 2009
















Oh yes, we did it. Sometimes I find a reason or two to "heart" the recession. Mainly just this one. Black Friday started at midnight. I worked Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Staying up wasn't all that hard. After an incredible Thanksgiving Dinner at The Matheson's and Pie Night at Ariana's Parents' House, I took an hour power nap, and Brad and I gathered up all our coupons and headed to Chandler Mall.
Silly me thinking it wouldn't be crazy. Oh, no, it was crazy. The entrance to the mall looked like some sort of end-of-the-world exodus in a disaster movie. The thing about the midnight crowd is it's pretty young. With a few smoking grandmas thrown in.
We really didn't know where to start. But Banana Republic had cashmere sweaters buy one get one free! Unfortunately, they were ugly, so, I didn't get one. And so were mostly all of the GAP sweaters and pajama pants on the same deal. So we headed onward. We ended up getting a couple shirts and a pair of pants at Express. But the line was so long, I hid all my stuff in a pile of untouched sweaters and we came back 45 minutes later (We saved about $50 there). The Body Shop made me the happiest. I love this video because I've actually never SEEN myself so excited about anything. My purchase should have been $175, but with my birthday discount, love my body card discount, and the Black Friday discount, it was $87!!! !!!
I talk about the line to Bath & Body Works in the video, but I forgot to tape it. Let me just say the line to PURCHASE anything went through the entire store and out to the hallway. I guess thank goodness for honesty! Even though I had 3 coupons for free stuff, we abandoned that endeavor for another day or time. Oh, and they had to make a TWILIGHT fragrance? Really?!
The other stores were actually not as exciting as we had hoped, and maybe Brad is getting sick because he got tired, which never happens, so we took him home.
At 3, Old Navy opened, and it's only 1 mile away, so I went. Our Graduate program is buying homeless children jeans for Christmas, and all their kids' jeans were $10, so I totally stocked up! And I bought socks for myself for $2.50.
I came home again, chilled for a little bit, and then went to Target at 5, simply to watch a store like that open. I'd never ever done it before, and I had so much fun. Mostly because I wasn't fighting for anything. But really, everyone seemed really polite. The first 500 people in line got special reusable bags, and I was #493. (And someone else had abandoned theirs, so I took it. Which seemed very "crazy shopper" of me. But nobody else seemed to care.) The line was INSANE!! People were checking out before I even got in the store. I got a bunch of movies and all the seasons of Friends for $9 each. I might take some of it back, but it just seemed to be too good of a deal. And because I spent over $100, I got two $10 gift cards. Sweet.
I think I'm going to bed now for a little bit.
Long live Black Friday!




5 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I don't know what I love more.

The fact that you actually went out on Black Friday OR
that you video taped it!

Love you!

P.S. Bannon's store opened at 10 last night. He went to work at 9 last night and gets off at 4 today!

Jessica McIntyre said...

You are crazy. I totally know which Target bag you got. I almost wanted to go JUST for the bag but lets be honest, I am not exactly a night owl so knew it wasn't going to happen. You videos are so cute!

Maria said...

You are insane! :) I'm very impressed with your shopping stamina! I went at 7am and felt very adventurous! :)

Katie said...

so much fun! crazy target shoppers!

Anonymous said...

You are way too cool for me. I have never been brave enough to venture out on black Friday, and I LOVE a sale. Maybe it just takes time or more likely I just need someone to go with. Eventually when you live in Boise we'll do these kind of things together.