Thursday, April 05, 2012

Creative Layover

Brittany and I headed off to Jamaica early at 5:40am on Thursday. Kevin (the friend of ours who comes up for Christmas) was nice enough to drive us early to the airport. Mostly because he wanted to switch cars for my gas mileage. Unluckily for him, the altima has a terrible oil leak. Lucky for me, it might be fixed when I get home.
Also lucky for me, Brittany decided to come with me at the last minute (like 3 weeks ago minute). I'm not actually sure Brittany has made her blog debut yet. She's part of our girl group from church, and we don't hang out one-on-one too often. But we upped the friend ante this week are now sharing a bed for 5 days. Whoo-hoo!
What I've learned over the last two days is that Brittany is an excellent travel companion. For example, I could have spent 4 and a half hours in Charlotte, NC on our layover like this:
Instead, she agreed to go exploring. We left the airport on the Sprinter bus and for $2 went to uptown Charlotte and explored. We met a guy named Brian on our bus ride who told us where to eat, where to go, where NOT to go, and what we could do in the short time we were there. Mostly we just looked around, went inside an old Episcopalian church, and ate lunch at Mert's Heart & Soul.  

Brittany almost peed her pants when I went up to a group of Indian men and asked where the soul food restaurant was. They pointed me in the wrong direction and were like, "Soul food...Chinese food, right?" Um, no. Not Chinese food. :-)
Me & Darlene

Shrimp Creole (spicy!) & Cornbread.

Brittany's po' boy, mac & cheese, and killer bar-b-que sauce
We made it back with an hour and a half to spare and meet a ridiculously rich Englishman who travels to Jamaica every year and has a jam-packed passport. He was a little stuck-up at first, but he loosened up after about a half an hour of talking to us and ended up showing us amazing pictures he had taken in India and Morocco.
So, basically, the coolest layover ever. And then we were off!

2 comments:

Suzette Selden said...

So jealous of your awesome trip!!!

RC said...

I'm at work reading this entry and bored out of my mind (from work or lack of). I've been eating anything that doesn't move today and the bowl of shrimp creole looks so danged good I could rip it off the page and consume it all. Even the Po' boy looked great. I can't believe the Englishman wouldn't talk to you sooner. You usually can make anyone talk to you (if they can get a word in :o) ). As usual you always seem to make the most of your time doing something fun. I do wonder where you get your wonderlust? Must be a recessive gene somewhere...