Friday, April 06, 2012

Johnny B & Ian & Sailboats & Snorkels





Ian

Me breaking the rules again and climbing onto the other boat.
As I said, we made a lot of 20-something Jamaica friends. These are two of them. Without them, we wouldn't have done half of the cool stuff we did. For example, Day 1 we were just hanging out on the beach, and they were like, "Sign up over there and meet us at these boats!" (All this stuff was included with our resort.) So we signed our names on the books and went sailing. It was so hard for me not to just jump off into the beautiful water. It was so blue and warm and beautiful! The guys kept speaking Patois around us, so we basically had no idea what they were saying half the time, but it sounded fun.
Ian and "Johnny B King of the Sea"
Hanging over the side :-)


Then they told us to sign up for snorkeling the next day, which of course we did. That turned out to be one of the coolest times of all. (We actually went twice). The first time was just me, Brittany, and a guy named Michael, whose wife apparently didn't feel like going. He was super cool.




Me & Brittany

These guys were way better divers than me! I could go
down about 15 feet- they did about 40 feet!


When snorkeling, you have the option of the "lazy" lifejacket (the safe one) or the "crazy" life jacket (that you can blow up if you want to, but you don't have to, so you can dive down if you want to). Britt chose lazy, I chose crazy (I know you're shocked). As we've discussed previously, I'm not the world's best swimmer, so getting used to swimming in the middle of the ocean with a snorkel mask and a disposable camera took a little getting used to. It may have also involved inhaling a good dose of salt water when I got too excited about diving under and breathed through my snorkel anyways. Oops. However, it was super cool and Johnnie B & Ian hung around us the whole time. I realized that I can't dive nearly as deep as I wanted to. Something about my ears killing me and running out of breath. More practice is definitely in order.
Vanie, me, and Brittany went again the next day. Vanie was more than a little nervous- there is something a little panicky about the whole thing, but she did good. It was so cool to see the coral and the fishes and the sea urchins and basically just a cool experience. I kept wanting my niece Kaitlynn to be there with me so I could show her Nemo's world. :-)

Fish & Brain Coral!


So cool.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

You're right..AMAZING water! So great! Would have LOVED to have seen some of the darling women and children too! I know you said you saw one women to every ten men, but there has GOT to be some babies somewhere!;0)

RC said...

That water reminded me of the water around Guam when I was there in the Navy. I think the water that you were in is prettier though. Snorkeling does take a bit of practice to perfect but once you do it is a ton of fun, even without the Ya' mon Boys. So strange to hear you took the "crazy" life jacket....

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I love love love love these shots of the water. Love the film. You need to have them in frames in your house.
I also love the all inclusive thing... makes it so easy to do so much.

Way to swim little fishy!

Suzette Selden said...

Looks like an unbelievable trip! Glad you had such an amazing time.