Sunday, September 02, 2012

Arriving at the Polochic

(Sorry this has taken so long...it's a little crazy around here. And it's been a little overwhelming thinking of how I'm going to document all this! :-) - I also am using a lot of other people's pictures- I didn't usually have time to stop and take all the pictures I wished I could!)
The next day we got up early to catch our bus to the Polochic Valley (It's pronounced polo-cheek). The  ride up took about 12 hours. We spent 5 hours on an air-conditioned bus that pretty much froze my left arm to death (I rode near the window where the vent was) and the next 6 or so in a non-air-conditioned, smaller bus that looked more like a school bus. We stopped at lunch at another place where they said I could drink the water so I did (scared, still, but I did). It was a really nice place and we had delicious chicken, rolls, and vegetables.
The last few hours of the bus ride were rocky and beautiful and a little terrifying. It's funny, we kind of all got used to treacherous roads while we were there, but this was our first introduction. If we ever came to a ditch in the road, two of the Guatemalans would just run outside and fill the hole with wood and rocks until we could get across. Here's a 36 second video of what that looked like. And then a 6 second one of what it was like to drive across. I mostly appreciate the way the stickers on the front of the bus look like blood is coming off of them. That was particularly reassuring when we thought we might fall off cliffs a couple times.
Bus Transfer- our luggage went in that cattle truck
Half of us- I wouldn't have been in the picture if I didn't hug LeeAnn





This video is just a few seconds of what our crazy roads looked like. It was absolutely beautiful. As we drove through all the towns and random houses, people just stared and stared. I'm guessing not a lot of buses with 50 white people drive through. It was fun, though, because when we got to OUR village, La Reforma, we knew we had arrived. Everyone was lined up waiting for us and they let out huge cheers when we drove by. I was the first one off the bus, and it felt like going down the red carpet. Myself and another girl held our our hands and taught the little boys to "high five" us as we came through. I seriously cried. I was so excited to be here and just could not believe I had this opportunity.
Dinner was delicious. we had "steak" and baked peeled potatoes and corn on the cob and a fresh corn tortilla.
After dinner, about four of us girls played with tons of the kid in the very muddy grass. They loved "London Bridge," and I think we "captured" them all.
One of the little boys took the sunglasses off my head and then they each wanted their picture taken with them on. It was so funny.
Then, because it was Sunday, we held "church." Two people spoke and we sang "Because I Have Been Given Much" and "I am a Child of God" while all the little kids peeked in the room. We told them they could come inside, but they didn't.
All week long, we had just crowds and crowds of people watching everything we did. You'd think we'd have gotten used to it, but we really didn't.




I slept terrible that night. I had a great air mattress, but in all my concern about medical supplies, I didn't think to pack myself SHEETS. I was planning for the heat I'd grown up with in those Texas girls' camps (horribly hot and humid), but unfortunately (:-) ) this weather was GORGEOUS, but about 70 degrees at night. And I was so cold trying to sleep! I only brought a dumb little travel fleece blanket that was not even as long as me (I hadn't opened it until I was on the trip. I know. Dumb. dumb. dumb.) I walked to the boys' room, and one of them had an extra sheet they let me borrow. And the next day one of the leaders found me an extra sleeping bag that was incredible and then I slept amazing the entire rest of the trip. (No worries, mom :-) )

1 comment:

Jess said...

Wow what an amazing first day!! The picture of you with the kids are so cute and you can tell they could feel your love and excitement to be there.