Saturday, September 29, 2012

Is it Possible? Did I really make it Belize?!!!

For the past ten days, I had been imagining the last few days of this trip chilling in Belize. And getting there was an absolute dream come true. I LOVE THIS PLACE. We chose to stay on Caye Caulker, which luckily missed having a hurricane hit them the day before we arrived. Instead, it hit 200 miles south, so we just had a little storminess.
We drove into Belize City, which is not cool and is kind of scary, but does have $3 fried chicken and a very interesting mix of cultures. Like Asian and Creole and Jamaican. Fun times. And they speak English, which was a welcome relief. From Belize City, it's about 40 minutes on a "water taxi" to Caye Caulker (which was also like $5). It was so fun watching the water turn from brownish to kind of green to incredible turquoise. 
Caye Caulker is known for being extremely laid back. It's motto is "go slow." And I was so grateful for that. The streets are all sand, and going barefoot is encouraged. But I did, and I cut my toes, so I put my flip-flops back on. 
Out hostel here was totally different and 1000 times better than our one in Flores. And it was definitely owned by a woman. So, for $12 a night, we stayed here:, where we laid on hammocks and looked at the ocean and swam in the ocean and played sand volleyball and had electricity. And while I still didn't have hot water, I did actually enjoy the cool showers here, because they were refreshing and not freezing. Taking one was the first thing I did when we arrived, and it was glorious. 
Here I went snorkeling with sharks and sting rays and absolutely beautiful fish. 
 I completely ruined my little tan I was so proud of by getting completely completely fried. 
I got proposed to by a local.
I had the best limeade EVER. 

I did my laundry at a laundromat at 7am and hung it out to dry. 
I bought rubberbands for 25 cents at the Chinatown Supermarket











I had banana pancakes and watermelon juice for breakfast and was convinced I was in heaven. 
Yes, my feet were dirty. Of course they were.
But this was the water taxi ride. 

You can tell it was a little overcast on our way in.



Khaiah and Eryn








Clean Bathroom!!!

Our room







Land and real estate are incredibly cheap here, and there's a good chance that in the next few years, I might just have a vacation home for you all to stay in with me :-) I hope. really. 







1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I had to cringe when I saw your sunburn!!!! OUCH!! Glad you had some "down time" in Caye. I bet every "mommy" that reads your blog would have loved just a day of "no worries"!!!!