Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fireside

Immediately following Semuc Champey, we drove to a special fireside (aka evening church meeting) for the Q'eqchi people. (Yes, that meant I was wearing a skirt and my swimsuit- we had planned to be able to change, but we were running late.) The church had just finished translating the hymn book into the Q'equchi language, so they held a special fireside where people from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and missionaries from the area sang the songs in Q'equchi to the local people for the first time. I thought that it was going to be spiritual, but I was even more overwhelmed that I thought I would be. The love for these people from the singers was absolutely powerful, and I felt so honored to be there at that time.
The guy second from right was the first missionary ever in the region -in 1978. He had helped to translate the hymnal and was so passionate and so excited. He was great to watch. Overall, it was an amazing time.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

So great that there were "spiritual" experiences also!