Saturday, September 29, 2012

Our LIttle Hotel and Morning Sunrise Tour

So in the Tikal jungle are only 2 hotels and 1 hostel. Apparently it was only legal to build hotels there for 7 years. There is no air conditioning. You get electricity for four hours a day- from 6-10pm. At first, you think, "That's fine. Who needs lights at night?" And you would be right, you don't need lights at night. What would be nice is a fan that spins throughout the night and the ability to charge your phones.  Oh, and hot water. But, no, none of that. The lack of electricity was starting to get to me. My phone was at 10% for DAYS! No A/C, and I was going on 8 days with no hot shower. But we were staying there in the middle of the jungle for the authenticity of it all, and really, it was adorable. Next time, I bring a battery-powered fan!



At 4:30 in the morning, we woke up to go on our sunrise tour. In case I didn't mention it before, I woke up THREE DAYS IN A ROW before 6am. Not my typical vacation. Apparently, waking up this early is necessary to experience all the sounds of the jungle. I wouldn't really know, because I climbed up to the top, found the largest platform possible, and fell asleep. I had been so excited to see a toucan, and I did see one from a distance, but I was so tired I was afraid I would fall off the ruins. The monkey sounds and the view, however, were, in fact, incredible. When you listen to this video, the things that sound like lions are actually howler monkeys. They are completely loud and probably crazy and, well, awesome. Kristin should be e-mailing me a photo of the toucan soon.




1 comment:

bradleyjohn said...

The funny thing is most people who read this thought you were joking about falling asleep. Your brother, who has lived with you, doubted that for not one second. It's a good thing someone was there to wake you up or you might still be living among the Mayans (ruins).