Sunday, August 03, 2014

Girls' Camp!

One of the obvious perks of being in Young Women's is the opportunity to go to Girls' Camp. Now, if you grew up with me in Texas, girl's camp brings back memories of Super Soakers, chiggers, mosquitoes, beside fans clipped to cots, and generally just being miserable hot. And, of course, having a completely awesome time. When I find some pictures, I'll put them on here. For now, my scrapbook seems to be missing.

Anyways, so the regular spot for girls' camp in AZ this year was full. Too many mormons, I guess. So  instead, some very wealthy members of our stake donated their houseboats for us to use on Lake Powell. Whoop whoop. A little different than regular camp. And awesome.
I drove up with Rebecca Springer, who I think is the Mia Maid advisor. I know I talked her ear off, but it was such a fun drive up. Even if we went 50 miles in the wrong direction.
Eventually we made it up and got everything all ready. We slept on the deck of the boat, which was surprisingly cold (luckily at 4:30 in the morning I realized I had actually brought sweatpants and a hoodie, so I slept fine the rest of the time), but my favorite part were the stars. There were so many it was just breathtaking, and I realized how long it had been since I had seen a crystal clear sky.
The second day, we went towards a hike. The plans got kind of kinked, so I ended up swimming in the lake with a girl named Savannah who has kind of a hard family life and didn't really want to go to camp. She and I spent probably an hour just talking and swimming and she said I was her new [camp] mom, and that was fun. She didn't complain the rest of camp.
The next day was tubing and boating. Lari Clark (who is exactly my mom's age and has a daughter exactly my age) and I went tubing and stayed on forever. A lot of the girls fell off so fast, but even though I had a bruised chin from her elbow and she had a bloody nose from mine (just a little one!), we stayed on. The girls thought we were so cool.
That night was testimony meeting, where once again I realized how great (and huge!) our ward was. We had 30 girls there. It was just such a great time, and I'm so glad I could go!




No comments: