Sunday, August 31, 2014

Jessica & Christin Take Seattle

At the end of August, Jessica and I went to Seattle! I hadn't been back in ten years, and we were so excited to go.
We stayed at the Hotel Max in a tiny little room that was actually so modern and cute. It was a great location, even though we walked SO MUCH. I think we racked up like 33 miles w
hile we were there.
Our first day there, we went to Pike's Place and bought the most amazing doughnut peaches. They were so so yummy. The guy who sold them to us was having such a bad day, and I will never forget that. He had just gone through a break-up and was so honest about how much it sucked. We almost bought him flowers!!

After that, we went and rode the ferris wheel and got ice cream. I was so excited about all of it that I didn't notice I had ice cream dripping all the way down my shirt while we were walking. Oh well. The ferris wheel is new since either of us were there last, and it was so calm and nice to just chill and take pictures with such an awesome view.
Then we went to Ivar's for Fish and Chips. Paul had made us a little list of things we should do while we were in Seattle, and this was on the top of the list. Also included on the list was feeding the seagulls a french fry. Jessica does not like birds. I was more nervous than I thought I would be. But we both did it, and it was so funny. And yes, the fish and chips were amazing. 
For dinner, we went to a cool vegan place called "Sutra" that I had seen on TripAdvisor. The place was kind of crazy. We all sat at long tables with everyone else and it was TIGHT quarters. But. The people we sat with were so fun and the food was incredible. There was a fancy non-alcoholic drink to go with each course. And the chef said a prayer to thank the earth and the growers for all the ingredients and then told us where each thing came from. It was so much fun. On the way home, Jessica had the idea that we should take uber, which was awesome. Our driver picked us up in like 2 minutes and told us all about Eritrea, the country in Africa where he was from. It was so nice.

Friday morning I woke up and decided to go for a run. On the treadmill in the fitness room. After about 1 minute I realized just how horrible of an idea that was. I told Jessica I was going outside and took off. I ran 5 beautiful miles through people and parks along the water and it was just amazing. Probably the best run of my life. And definitely the most beautiful. My nano even said it was the fastest, but I think the altitude threw it off a little....
For lunch we stopped at Pamela's Fine Foods across the street where I had the most amazing sandwich ever. It was just turkey, mayo, sunflower seeds, and havarti, but it was so good! Unfortunately, they are also closed on weekends, so it was my only sandwich from there. (Jessica had gone there earlier and had breakfast while I was running.)
Our big adventure for the day was to go to Husky Stadium and rent canoes and go exploring a little sanctuary there. What made this adventure more fun is that Jessica cannot swim, and was actually quite nervous about this whole thing. And, she was totally up for it. To the point that she even lied point-blank to the rental girl and told her she could swim before we signed the waiver. And she was a great rower as we rowed through the boat traffic at one point that including some very large tugboat looking watercraft.
We ended up having an awesome time and saw some beautiful water lillies and even had a little picnic with our vending machine snacks. AND we also saw a guy sitting totally naked on a dock on our way back. He might have been on drugs, but I have to admit, I was a little jealous of his lack of inhibitions :)







 Later on, we went shopping and had amazing caramels at Fran's, enjoyed a snowball cupcake from Trophy, and went to a too-fancy restaurant where I had exactly 1 scallop for which I paid $20. They were very nice, but we won't be going back.
Also, I had a "messy bun" that day (my hair, people)- that I haven't been able to replicate since, but it made me feel so stylish. :-)
To top of the night, I accidentally asked a guy in the elevator what his room number was instead of what floor he was on so I could push the button for him. We all laughed pretty hard at that.
Good times.
Saturday we went to Bainbridge island. It was very quaint. And had fun bookstores and shops and amazing ice cream. I had coconut ice cream and cantaloupe sorbet and it was straight up heaven. Jessica and I bought little tiny glass bowls for rings that were so cute.
Sunday we visited Olympic Sculpture park, ate some more fish & chips, and headed home. It was a fabulous trip!!!









No comments: