Sunday, June 06, 2010

Phoenix's Camelback


On my list of 100 things in 1001 days is hiking Boise's camelback and Phoenix's. So far I've done Boise's twice, but until Friday morning I hadn't done Phoenix's. Mostly because I didn't want to hike it alone, and schedules always seemed to conflict. But John took me on Friday morning. Because it's already 100 here (110 today to be exact), we had to get started early. He came over at 7 and we got already with our sunscreen and our 6 bottles of water and our energy bars and headed out. It's only a little over a mile long, but its 1200 feet up. There's a lot of bouldering, which is very different from any hike I've ever been on (and it's in the middle of a huge city, which is crazy). There were a ton of people hiking it; some in terrible clothes, some in terrible shoes, some running it like it was a track. We had a blast, though, and the scenery was fabulous. Here's some pics!






The last picture that looks like just a bunch of rocks is actually the "trail" down!

5 comments:

Sweet Em said...

I love the new super blogging Christin!

Meghan and Randy said...

Christin, I'm glad I read your blog every once in a while because I would never have known about Banana Republic! Camelback Mtn. is hard huh? I got scared when I saw the rope that helps you get to the top! Yikes. But all in all, it's a good accomplishment to get to the top and down! You and John did awesome. And cute shoes!!

Camille Elise said...

Man, hiking in AZ summer = hot, hot, hot! (In the warmest sense)

Tara said...

This really is making me want to hike and climb some rocks right now--it's been forever. I looks like you had fun. Oh, and I love the pink plaid shoes! Love them. I'm just too lazy to comment twice.

bradleyjohn said...

This kind of looks like the mountain of rocks I climbed up when I decided to go up the wrong side of A mountain. You should find the easy way up.