Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Craziest 5K ever.


On December 12th, I ran a 5K with a group called Girls on the Run. As part of the graduate nurse's organization, we are supposed to do a service project, so I got together with this group and we planned some things. The goal of Girls on the Run is to promote self-esteem in girls ages 8-13 by helping them run a 5K. They pair each girl with a "running buddy" to help her get through the race. So our nurses organization signed up to be running buddies. Terrified that I might hold my little running buddy up, I ran like crazy that week (even through the burning raw skin from my chemical peel). Turns out I needn't have worried. This is my running buddy, who refused to run and complained the whole way. We did pretend to run in front of her parents for a minute.

It took us about 2 1/2 hours to walk 3.1 miles. Her name is Destiny; her little brother Dallas joined us for the last half of the race. I think you can tell which picture is from before we started and which one is from the finish line. This is maybe what I get for setting up a service project on a Sunday?! (Click on this; her little brother is so cute and she is so upset....)

3 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

HA! That is awesome! Hey at least you didn't have the next Prefontaine on your hands!

Jess said...

The guy behind you in the picture is pretty happy also. . . .

RC said...

I don't blame her at all. If I had to run/walk that far I would be pissed too!