Sunday, July 17, 2011

haha. You thought you were sleeping tonight.


The last night there, Bridget, her friend "Bama," me, and Jonmark stayed up forever talking about nutrition and my job and the church and tons of other fun stuff. And then crashed. A few hours later I was awakened by someone calling my name and asking for help. But it wasn't Jonmark. Bridget had a bloody nose. A BAD one.
As in, nurse practitioner or not, I could not get the clots to stop for over 45 minutes. No matter how far forward she tilted her head or how many ways we squeezed it, she was still swallowing blood.
We went to the hospital. Now, this is not the first time I've taken Bridget to the ER. She did puke incessantly a couple years ago when she was here in '08. But I think never at 2 in the morning.
Luckily, the PC hospital is beautiful and not that busy and we got right in.
Turns out, for major nose bleeds, you shoot 4 sprays of Afrin-type stuff in each nostril and then clamp your nose for ten minutes. And then repeat. And then spray 2 sprays in each one every 6 hours for the next 2 days.
Even then, Bridget still felt like she was swallowing a little blood, but it wasn't bad.
We got home at 5 in the morning, laughing really, because heaven knows we'd try to sneak in another crazy story before we left.

5 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

Well at least my timing is awesome... really this is one of my favorite memories ever... we freaking laughed so hard!!!

shirley elizabeth said...

Holy crud how does something like that start? That's really a kind of scary thing.

RC said...

Anything for a bit of attention, huh Bridge? Very cute nose clip though. May start a new fashion trend.....

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

Uhhh. wasn't really going for attention at one in the morning. Especially after about 40 min. of blood pouring out of my nose when I have never had a nosebleed before in my life.... But maybe next time I am in the need I will use this tactic. I bet the men would come crawling.

RC said...

It sounds quite stimulating for sure!