Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Park City- Day/Night 1

It is the rare person who wants to stay in Phoenix and bake for the 4th of July. I am not that person. Neither is Jonmark. It was 117 degrees on July 1st. We were baking.
It was then, with oh so much notice and planning, that we decided to go to Park City. Actually, I had decided to go to Idaho, and then my mom told me August would be better. And then Jonmark and I planned California and then Tahoe and then nothing worked out.
Except that I had this friend name Bridget whom I hadn't seen (really) in two years who was calling my name. And who told me Park City is awesome on the the 4th. So, Jonmark and I went to his niece's blessing and left Phoenix at 3:28p.m. on Sunday. Park City is a 12 and a half hour drive. Something I may have neglected to truly take into account.
It was actually one of the nicest road trips I have ever been on. We talked the whole way and only listened to the one cheesy 80's CD the whole way there. I learned all about annuities and life insurance policies and other random fascinating things.
And I even smiled just a few minutes after a cop informed me that the speed limit on the bridge in Page, AZ is actually 25 and not 57 and then gave me a white piece of paper to prove it. Turns out there are only so many times you can get pulled over with a sexy paraplegic as your passenger and not get a ticket.
So- we drove my (highly dependable, dearly beloved) Altima to Park City because it was somewhat more dependable than Jonmark's less-beloved Camry. This meant, however, that I would be driving the whole way because I have not yet come to the point where I feel the need to install hand controls in my car. Despite the fact that Jonmark insisted he could drive with a squegee handle, cruise control, and the e-brake. Um, no.
Brad, more than anyone, knows that I usually sleep about 50% of road trips. This one I slept 0%. Jonmark was an awesome road buddy. He only slept for 20 minutes so that I wouldn't be bored and could stay awake. So sweet...I don't think I could have done the same.
We arrived at Bridget's at 5am. We expected her to be asleep, but she said she was too excited to sleep and had just woken back up. She even painted a new picture for us!! Her apartment was darling, the air was so clean and perfect, and we all talked for an hour just getting to know each other (b-ridge and jonmark) and getting caught up (me and bridge). Sometimes it's great to be in Utah.

6 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I will paint you more pictures if you come back.

I'm glad you felt/heard me calling.... you will never believe how loud I was actually screaming.

Is it that pathetic that I only wrote two sentences and started crying?

Jonmark said...

Paraplegics make great travel companions. They don't cry about the need to get out and stretch their legs. They don't complain about their butt being numb.
They are pretty much the best 'sitters' in the world.
My advice...If you plan on going on a long road trip, be sure to stop off at your local Target on the way out and pick up your very own 'paraplegic'.
PS. If they cant stop talking......give them a chocolate milk. That usually works.

Bonnie said...

Glad you got there safe! I wish my kids would drive to their destinations in the daytime like real people!!!
p.s. Jonmark's comment was hilarious:0)

Emily said...

Yes, he is very funny. You can marry him any time, sweetheart.

That comment was for not coming to see me.

Also, I will come to Idaho in August to see you for a half hour if you will tell me when you are coming. You don't even have to drive anywhere. I will do all the work.:)

MindySue said...

I agree with Emily. You talked the WHOLE time? I'm not even certain Curt and I could do that. JonMark, I hope you appreciate that all of us are pulling for you. I think you should send us cookies.

Jonmark said...

Emily and Mindy,

I want to thank you two for cheering me on. I alway's loved your responses and they invariably made me smile. It's fun to think I had support from people I never met.
Thanks
Jeanmarc

P.S. It would be my pleasure to send cookies. :)