Monday, September 24, 2007

A Bit About My Job

So I haven't written very much about my job because some of it would violate the whole privacy act thing, and really, the stories are the best. But I'll say as much as I think I can get away with. With no blood stories, except, really the #2 stuff is way worse and I almost throw up every single time. Really.
So I usually have five patients. I work on a floor with a lot of old people, a lot of gallbladder removal surgeries, small bowel obstructions (lots), newly discovered cancer, and fainting spells, heart attacks, and strokes. And alcohol withdrawals and a few random car accident people.
I've had a really good time meeting a lot of my patients. The thing is, by the time they get to us, they are pretty stable, and it's a lot like serving- except that you take vitals, give medication, and tuck them into bed.
The confused people are my favorites. Usually. Except one lady was totally nuts and I had to call up security and put her in restraints and give her a shot of Haldol to calm her down. These same people also rip out their IV's and cause all sorts of drama. And usually take off their clothes.
The other day one was telling me about her non-existant Ukranian boyfriend who made her have sex 29 times. "29 TIMES!" she says. "Can you believe it!"
Poor little confused people.
Im getting good at putting IV's in. I have now given a backrub and washed someone's hair while they were on the toilet, because, well, once they are in bed they don't like to move.
I met an amazing 90-year old who had just bought himself a new Dodge pickup and was about to go hunting. Hadn't been to the doctor is 40 years. He went home the next day.
The healthy ones who just pop in are amazing. The people who come back because they just won't make the changes they need to drive you nuts.
There have been days where I feel like I'm the best nurse ever. And then days where I totally forget to do important stuff and am like, "Crap! The antibiotic is 3 hours late and I never gave that unit of insulin and it's been 6 hours and I haven't even looked at the chart 'cause everybody's IV is infiltrated (swollen) and they're in pain and the doctor is calling and......" AHh!!
And then there are awesome days that go smooth and the patients think you're the best nurse in the world and you leave notes for doctors in the charts that you are convinced are going to change their lives and all is good.
I work at night, so usually I don't so much see the doctors or call them as much as leave Post-it notes in the charts for them to see in the morning.
Oh, and ATIVAN. Ativan is lovely. And I don't know how anybody was ever a nurse without it. When your patients are anxious, frustrated, upset, scared, or can't sleep, or withdrawing from alcohol, you give them ativan, and all the bad stuff goes away. Lots of day shift nurses get all frustrated and I say "Did you give them this ativan that was ordered if they need it?" And they say no. And I give it, and everybody is happy. I'm kind of a huge ativan fan.
I work 7p-7a usually, which is great. I eat lunch about midnight and sleep from 8a-4p. Very well.
That's my job!! :o)

1 comment:

Sweet Em said...

Just what I was looking for!!

Q: If you only think you have a sex maniac boyfriend, wouldn't that be just as good as the real thing?