Saturday, April 25, 2009

"I'm Just Going to Gilbert for awhile..."



Having always been a combination of supposed tough girl/hopeless romantic, I've never been one to cry very hard at good-byes. The idea of moving from one place to start another has always had enough of a romantic notion for me that my visions of all the exciting possibilities ahead sort of precludes any sadness I might have about not seeing my friends for a few months. Somewhere deep inside I know I'll see them again, and that the ones who have touched my life by the time I leave will somehow manage to be in my life forever. And this makes the good-byes much more manageable.
Along this line, last week I warned Bridget not to expect too many tears when she moves to Utah tomorrow. Plane tickets to Salt Lake are really not that expensive, the guys in her new ward are too hot and tempting to stay away for long, and, we know too many people getting married here for her to stay away. She needed this warning. After all, I didn't want her to think I didn't value our friendship.
And then two hours later John stopped by. After a brief stint here, he announced he was going to go to Gilbert (which is about 15 minutes away) for about an hour and a half. Without me. Before I really got to spend quality time with him. On Easter. Still, not a big deal. Really. 
But there are sometimes I'm not too proud of being a girl.  Like when a boy you kind of like a lot leaves unexpectedly, and a girl known for crying two tears at significant occasions suddenly cries 50 tears for absolutely no reason at all. And she tries to blame her hormones, but secretly wonders what emotional reservoir that flood stemmed from. 
And then there is today. 
Today Ariana Smith got engaged to Tyler Miller. Bridget, Brad, and I hid in the bushes at Desert Botanical Gardens so we could watch. And even though only Bridget got to stay to take pictures because Brad and I got kicked out by the Park Ranger, it was an incredible adrenaline rush and madly exciting to be part of such a historic event like the start of an eternal marriage. ok, gag a maggot, I know. But seriously, they are quite perfect for each other, and it was very exciting. 
Afterwards, we all had a chill-fest at my house, where we looked at proposal pictures, Sexy Young Phil serenaded us with his guitar, we ate delicious Nello's pizza, and celebrated with Blue Bell. 
After most people left, Bridget and I sat on the couches, while an exhausted John slept on a couch, and Brad figured out how to get 1500 pictures from one computer to another. 
And then Bridget put on her Phil CDs. The Phil CDs are two heart-wrenching perfectly touching albums compiled solely for the intent of squeezing as much sentiment as possible out of this moving situation. They are remarkable albums, capable of stirring up all kinds of emotions. So even when you think you are stable, these songs bring up all sorts of raw unprotected emotions- like analyzing the fact that every relationship in your life seems to be in some sort of terrifying transition and maybe you're happy and maybe you're not. And maybe you're perfectly okay but maybe just maybe you're falling apart. 
And then the night ends with two girls on a couch bawling their eyes out, quite likely for very different reasons, but still resulting in some sort of unspoken bond. 
And then you realize that no matter why you're crying, sometimes friendships are woven by words not said and hugs not given, but just times and moments somewhat like these. 
So there you go Bridget, you got your 50 tears. Just don't expect me to cry tomorrow. 
I'm not even that girly.
 

11 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

And yet sometimes friendships are woven by being the person that does shed a more than just a few tears when you move. By being the person that holds you well into the night when it seems your world is falling apart, or by saying all of the words that needed to be heard. Sometimes these little things are what make a friendship strong and tough rather than them being thin and nimble like a piece of string, when they are woven tight and sturdy as a rope... this way you know that at any moment when you just might not be strong enough you can lean on them to help you to safety, or just to lift you up when needed.

You have made my world a million times better just by being my friend. Words and tears will never be able to amount to the love and respect I have for you in my heart. I only pray that I one day become half the woman I see you are.

Thank you for loveing me in the more raw form of love.
Thank you for accepting me.
Thank you for supporting me.
Thank you for being in my life so that I can call you one of my best friends.

I will miss you more than you know.

Goodbye for not too long...

Maria said...

I almost feel like a voyer for reading/commenting on this post. I'm always amazed when people can be honest on these (in this case not-so) silly blogs. Way to be a good friend. I've known you were a fantastic friend for years! :)

Hopefully I'll also get to benefit a little bit from this Park City bit--and see you a little more often! :)

By the way, tears release positive hormones, right? See it as your body's response to a bit of stress-allowing some happy 'mones to circulate. tee hee (Oh-and know that I love you, too!)

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

This was so beautiful and powerful Christin... and I'm not ashamed to admit that reading your blog post and then Bridget's comment has made me tear up and cry. I love both of you so much.

RC said...

Easy for you to blame your tears on something as simple as hormones. Reading this sort of got my "hormones" going too. What else can I blame it on???? Having good friends move or you moving from them is always hard but with email, cells, blogs and facebook, are they ever really gone? I love you baby. (I had to delete this the first time because I spelled two words incorrectly and I know how you are about those things)

Anonymous said...

Nights like that are heaven sent in my opinion. I'm so glad that Bridget could get to have that with you before she moves. It's going to be different with her in Utah.


(and really, I can't get over it, I'm getting MARRIED! and I'm so in love. sorry but I'm twitterpated, I have to say something)

Travis Butterfield said...

I keep hearing about these Phil mixes, but I've never heard one, and it makes me wonder what I'm missing. Maybe you could burn me a copy or something :-)

p.s. even though I don't understand this whole crying, female bonding thing, I think you guys are all cool. That is all. Travis out.

Sweet Em said...

IMHO feminism should have earned us the right to cry like...well, little girls, without having to justify ourselves. Situations, or hormones, are simple enough reasons!

Sounds like a draining/rejuvenating weekend - hopefully there is some chocolate in it somewhere. What did you and Brad do to get kicked out?

RC - if you use Mozilla as your browser it has an automatic spell check function.

Camille Elise said...

Wow. That was pretty poetic. I'm not gunna lie.

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

Ok.. I also wanted to say sorry about all my spelling errors and such on that first post. It was actually 5:30 AM not 6:30! Please forgive me.

Anonymous said...

OH tears feel good sometimes. Let it out! But seriously, never let me listen to those CD's, I'm just not stable enough for that. I love you. Next time you come here you can laugh so hard you cry. Those tears are more fun, but they make your face hurt.

breymom said...

I read the proposal and looked at the pictures on her blog what an awesome story!!!! I made Joe listen to the whole thing amidst eye rolling I'm sure. However, my best friend has been a man for 12 yrs. I have no friends getting married and I live in Nampa.

Sounds like a happy chapter in your life is closing with so many close friends moving away. It feels like just yesterday you met me in the park here to say goodbye. I think it's neat you've had the opportunity to get close to so many great people. I haven't really formed any close friendships since you left. It's hard to say goodbye but, you'll be ok:)