Sunday, June 21, 2009

Limited

I have too many great ideas (humble I know).
But really, there are just too many things I could do with my life, and I get upset every once in a while that I cannot figure out how to do them all. Here's a few on my list- what does yours look like?:

  • Become a Nurse Practitioner in Women's Health. Obviously, this is the one I'm for sure going to do. Mostly because I'm in the program and school starts in August. This may involve one or two overseas adventures eventually, hopefully. 
  • Be a nurse. I already do this one, which allows me four days off a week, which is a lot of time to think about what else I could be doing, like:
  • Designing furniture. I'm really no artist, but I've had this idea for kids furniture based on cell organelles for several years. I know it sounds nerdy, but it would be so cool. I have no idea where to get started, although I've e-mailed a few designers, one French, who I don't think speaks english because the e-mail didn't have anything to do with what I wrote. (I can just envision pitching this idea to Target or the momastore.)
  • Becoming an executive assistant. I applied for these jobs in 2002 following my first graduation when I realized a BS in Zoology gets you a $7.50/hr job. I think I would love this. My dad thinks I would hate it. It probably doesn't pay enough, but I love a) planning vacations and trips  b) applying for things (jobs, college, it really doesn't matter) and c) buying gifts. Getting paid to do these things and fill out forms really sounds strangely fulfilling. Getting talked down to does not. 
  • Writing for a magazine. At some point I just have to do this. I sent in one article to SELF and it got rejected (also 2002-ish). I'm not so great at coming up with my own ideas for stories, though. However, I click the "writing/editing" section of craigslist almost every day. Just to check. I should probably write something other than this blog. (And thanks to the random person who commented and said I should write a book. It made my day.)
  • Speaking of writing a book, occasionally I want to do this. It would be about being a Modern American Mormon. I wrote the titles for the chapters three years ago. 
  • Presenting. I need to fly around the country and make presentations about something. I like to do this. A lot. Both of those things. Now what should I talk about?
  • Study faces with the guys Malcolm Gladwell talks about in Blink. I could get bored pretty quickly, but what a skill to have as a doctor!
  • Franchise Lilly Jane's Cupcakes
  • Something with Odwalla, American Express, Vestas, or Kimpton Hotels. 
  • And lastly, just today I read an article in Outside about programs to install solar panels. Apparently there is an 8 year waiting list in New Mexico for a 2 year program. I wrote the director and asked how to start one in AZ (ASU is huge on solar power but has no program). I have no idea what I will do with this information, but it sounds brilliant, doesn't it?
Ok, your turn!!  (I also have a side list made up for Brad, due to the fact that he can do some very cool things that I do not have a talent for. His list includes becoming a tailor, a eco-friendly landscape architect, and a dentist.)
  • Oh, and own, run, and design a boutique hotel. This one is very important. 

6 comments:

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

When you open up that cupcake franchise and boutique hotel, I want to be working with you!!! Maybe I can be YOUR executive assistant and you can fulfill one of your dreams vicariously through me.

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

PS I cant wait to write my list

RC said...

If my job search continues as is I may need to contact you for a job so you can talk down to someone...

Anonymous said...

My list, to keep yours company:

1. Design a clothing line of cute AND functional workout tops. And bras. For flat girls.

2. Become a paramedic. Save lives.

3. Open a non-profit clinic to help assist those who are near or below the poverty line have access to fresh fruits and vegetables.

4. Write a blog or article or regular column on small health tips for the general public which can make a huge difference.

5. Become a sculptor.

6. Coach youth sports. Not little kid youth, but like teenage youth. Preferably volleyball or rowing.

7. Go to the Olympics. And compete. Any sport will do. I'm thinking of taking up curling - have you SEEN how old those olympians are?? I've got plenty of time to prep.

8. I'm out of ideas. For now. Because I'm a little low on the magical juice that helps me dream up all my fantastic dreams that I want to make true.

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

You know there are a few hotels in Park City up for lease... and not any good cupcake shops....

Ashley said...

Can I please be part of the cupcake escapade??? PLEASE, PLEASE :) I'll even be Kristine's executive assistant if that's the only position left in your candy coated plan -A