Saturday, July 11, 2009

I Just Died In Your Arms...Today

Today I took John to the ER. That's a lie. On Wednesday morning I took John to the ER. I've been meaning to write everyday since then. K- so I was sick on Monday. Just a little. But felt better by Tuesday and even went to work. I thought it was probably just the toxins the chiropractor released, so I wasn't too worried. But on Tuesday night John got sick. With like a 102 degree fever and woke up sweaty and dizzy and in the morning at work I got a text that he had collapsed and passed out into his dresser. He had never passed out before and I was so scared for him. Armed with saltines and Gatorade, I came over after work. He got up to get ready, and said he felt dizzy, sat back down, and proceeded to pass out again. It actually may have been an "absence seizure" we're thinking now. Anyways, for about 20 seconds, all the color drained from his face, his eyes were totally fixed, and he was unresponsive. Scared me out of my mind. I was actually 2 seconds from laying him on the ground to perform CPR. For all my nurse experience, all I could think to do was search for a pulse and think about how many seconds his brain might be going without oxygen, but I looked at his face, not at his chest rising; I'm sure he was breathing; I just don't know.
When he came to, he refused to let me call an ambulance, so we spent 30 minutes crawling towards the door, with several breaks in between. The ER said he probably just had a virus and gave him 2 Liters of Saline. Meanwhile, since then, both of our joints have swelled up and caused some pain and it's been about the weirdest virus ever. He's still a little beat, but doing much better.
Note to self: I would much rather send a patient to ICU than have my friends pass out in my arms!! Terrifying!

1 comment:

RC said...

A bit dramatic wasn't it? Passing out is a bit scary but come on, you're a trained professional. Cool, calm and collected in the face of a medical emergency. What was all that training for??!!

Glad he is okay and you made it through without passing out or dying with him....