Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Milk Snob No More



Those of you who may have spent some QT with me in my 20's know that I can be kind of a milk snob. Somewhere along the way, in reading all those articles about growth hormones and girls starting puberty at age 10, I decided for the sake of my health that organic milk was worth the cost. (And, unlike organic chicken, I could almost afford it.)
So on my server "salary," I drove about once a week to the Boise Co-op and paid $5.29 for this organic milk. Besides me thinking it was great knowing the names of the cows that it came from, it seriously was the best-tasting milk I have ever had in my life.
Moving to AZ, I have been able to come across some organic milk, but I avoid Horizon because I heard once they aren't "really" organic or something like that, and fresh & easy's milk is cheap and seems just fine if I can't find a good local one.
However. We have reached a new level. A lower one.
See, I've been quite busy lately. And our fridge is pretty crowded, so my roommates and I share milk. And they've been buying it, and I split the cost.
And last month I drank Food City milk. Food City is a good store for buying avocadoes, yucca root, and bell peppers. And for learning Spanish. I don't go there generally because I like to speak the same language as my cashier as a general rule. I don't buy my milk there.
But Gina did.
And I drank it.

Now, a little bit about Great Value. I will buy Target brand iron, paper towels, and even feminine hygiene products. I simply do not think, in general, that the "Great Value," or Wal-mart brand makes a lot of "Great-tasting" food. This is maybe just my stuck up white people-ness. But also I think it's true. And apparently they do to because they just gave it a massive overhaul. Which is good because it makes me feel like it's not all in my head.
And because apparently I now drink their milk. (In my blueberry-pineapple-kale-chocolate protein smoothie as I write this.)
Just for the record. Yes, I can tell the difference. And yes, I'm going to start buying my own stinking milk.

4 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I once had a dairy farmer tell me it doesn't matter what kind or type of milk you buy. He said it is the companies that screw you. He also said just always buy whats cheapest... oddly enough I believe you and your brother have both made fun of me drinking nonfat stating that it tastes like water.. therefor I doubt my opinion be valid on any measure.

Enjoy your expensive milk.

Bonnie said...

I just think you work hard enough that you deserve WHATEVER kind of milk you want! I for one LIKE Great Value milk just as well as Reed's dairy milk that is supposed to be from "snob cows" that never "mix" with any cows that have not been raised on THEIR land:)Jill loves it but she is a milk snob too:)

RC said...

you are not going to believe this but I, Ronald Carbiener, have been drinking ORGANIC whole milk lately. Candice bought it for her kids one day and I tried it and it was okay for MILK. I have since stopped drinking the white water your mother tries to make me drink and have the organic whole exclusively. Granted I only use about a half cup on my oatmeal every day but I do use it now. Just thought you'd like to know....and for the record I have to buy my own, no one will pay for mine.

Emily said...

You have too much money if you can pay for organic milk.;) Your posts are so funny. I love reading them. P.s. your smoothie sounds revolting.