Friday, September 03, 2010

Vegetables


I don't know what got into me, but the other day I decided I needed to eat more vegetables. Maybe it was not going to the gym very much. Maybe it was trying to calculate if there was ever one day a week where I didn't eat a little too much saturated fat combined with knowing our family heart history. Maybe it was hanging out with single girls who didn't seek out cookies at every opportunity. Or maybe it was something I read from someone in Glamour. Probably all of those.
But I did. I started eating vegetables. A lot.
My goal is 5 servings a day. It's been two weeks, and I've done it almost everyday. There have been a few days of 3 or 4, but that still counts as a massive improvement over my previous routine.
There are three main benefits to this:
1- Things don't go bad. I have always bought a lot of vegetables. I just don't always EAT them. I never throw away my salad anymore. This happened way too much. The carrots and celery from big Sunday dinners don't go bad, and I actually eat my tomatoes while they're still good. AND I eat enough cauliflower and peppers to finish off my hummus for the first time in a year.
2- I've tried lots of new recipes and new foods. Like eggplant in miso sauce (from Brad's garden), pork chops with sauteed kale, and salmon with edamame sauce. And I also put kale in my smoothies, which tastes just fine actually and makes me feel like a rock star. AND I ate a turnip for the first time (with sweet potatoes and turkey sausage for breakfast), which was cool.
3- My health, of course. I feel pretty good eating all this good stuff instead of dessert. It makes me actually look for vegetables everywhere in order to get them all in. One day I was starving at 5pm and hadn't had a single one (this has also happened on more than one occasion.) So I went to Whole Foods and got 3 "salads" from their deli: brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and kale. And it was delicious! And I've lost a couple pounds, which is, of course, very nice.
Speaking of which, I really need to go to the grocery store!! I'm out of everything!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Two vegetables(unless I make a monster salad) and three fruits is all I can fit in my day but I do love "low sodium V8" when I feel like "no hassle" veggies:). WAY TO GO CHRISTIN!!!!!

RC said...

I'm already big as a house, so if I ate all those veggies I would surely resmeble the Jolly Green Giant. Good luck with all this green attack, I think I'll go have a piece of chocolate cake.

Maria said...

You always inspire me to try to be better! (I just wish I thought that any of that stuff tasted good...) :) I like the V8 Fusion Light, which is what I drink to make myself feel better.

Go, Christin!!