Friday, December 10, 2010

Its all fun and games until somebody gets prediabetes


It's time again for my workplace's annual health screening. In the last 2 years, my cholesterol has dropped exactly 50 points. My HDL is up. My triglycerides could not be lower. And my hemoglobin A1C came back at 5.7. Excuse me? What?
Now, the HgBA1C is kind of a new test, so let me explain. LESS than 5.7 means you are just fine. 5.7-6.4 means you are "prediabetic". Greater than 6.4 is diabetic. And >8 is an out-of-control diabetic.
It's an average of how much glucose your red blood cells have been bathing in for the last three months. They tend to hang on to it.
I used to think this test was the bomb. It wasn't supposed to come back like this.
Now, I happen to know my fasting blood sugar is usually 82. I also know that a pre-diabetic fasting blood sugar is 100-125.
I also know that, based on my "elf" tendencies discussed earlier this year, I prefer sugar to food. Generally always. Like the tray of rice krispie treats with chocolate chips in them I put away for breakfast and lunch last week.
Even an awesome pancreas can't hide the fact that sometimes I treat my red blood cells to a sugar bath at least a couple times a month.
Today I ate a piece of peanut butter and jelly toast with pomegranate seeds instead of jelly.
And a whole wheat gyro with a side salad of tabouuleh.
And did not eat any "yogurtland"
And I'm about to go enjoy some salmon and a nice caprese salad.
Ahhh....life as a "no I am not prediabetic but I'll keep telling myself this if it keeps me out of a sugar coma."
Oh, and I ran 2 miles.
p.s. If my insurance reads this blog post, I'm gonna be so pissed....

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

LOL! This is so you and I smiled all the way through!

RC said...

I have told you to just eat like your dad and nothing will go wrong. Ribs, brisket and tons of mexican food (and NO sushi)keeps the cholesterol low,HDL where it should be and a smile on your face!