Monday, December 06, 2010

Sperms & Eggs


I'm a little overwhelmed by the thought that I have 2 months to catch up blogging with. But, of course, I'm quite obviously overwhelmed with everything if I've neglected my blog for 57 days. (I've tried to keep up with y'all's!) Graduation is in T minus 11 days and it seems like more and more stuff keeps cropping up that has to be done before I graduate. A poster that I think I've edited 12 times is the first thing that comes to mind and might be driving me crazy. Or the final that I almost forgot and had to do after night shift and before date on Friday. I don't remember graduation being quite so complicated the first 2 times around...(or 3, I guess....).

Anyways, there have been some fun things, like....
I actually got to see these eggs removed from a woman. Then "washed" off. Then fertilized, needle-style, by these sperm. We got to choose the best sperm for the job and then hope for the best.
I got to see one lady cry (for a million reasons, I'm sure), as she held her husband's hand as 3 little embryos were placed inside her for safe-keeping.
And that was all in one day.
The rest of the semester consisted of switching back and forth between nights for work at the beginning of the week and days for clinicals at the end of the week. My other clinicals were somewhat more routine and consisted of GBS swabs, fetal heart tones, and ultrasounds, but the point being, my hours are DONE!! I still have to take boards in a couple months, I still have to find a job (hopefully more on the GYN side than the OB side; I can't deliver babies, so it's a little anti-climactic to do pre-natal care; I'd rather replace your hormones and fix your menstrual cycle and control your diabetes.....) but we'll see where the next few months lead. I am going to continue on with my "Doctor of Nursing Practice," but that degree won't really change anything as far as career goes. 4 more semesters, here we come (but holy cow I am ready for this break!)

5 comments:

Suzette Selden said...

Christin - So glad you are back. Man, life sounds crazy busy for you girlie! So proud of you.

Maria said...

I've missed your posts! I'm so glad that you're squeezing in some fun with all your crazy work and schooling. :) CONGRATS and enjoy your graduation. I think you're AMAZING!!!

Bonnie said...

I think sperm and eggs should only be provided to a few individuals on this earth:) People that are crying because they want a child should move to the top of the list:)

Jess said...

First, are you breaking any HIPAA Laws by showing pictures of someone's eggs and sperm without their permission? j/k

I thought you already had a job set up with the place you did your internship or rotation or whatever it is called? Guess we have a lot to catch up on next week :-)

Anonymous said...

SO COOL! I'm jealous.