Sunday, October 26, 2008

Oh, LoLo.



So Candice's 27th birthday was on Friday. John's 26th is tomorrow. How serendipitous! What could be done to fully appreciate this excellent turn of events? What could possibly do justice to celebrate the birth of two of my favorite people of all time?
A little background. John is from LA, as I'm sure you remember. It is in LA that Roscoe's chicken and waffles is located. Chicken and waffles you say? What do you mean? What do I mean? I mean fried chicken and delicious waffles on the SAME plate. This is apparently, "soul food." It is served in places where there is a dominant African-American population. This appeals to John not only because he is from LA, but also because he served his mission in Detroit. Where he was the only white kid for miles. 
Fast forward Fall 2008. John and I talk a few months ago about chicken & waffles. I am fascinated. I want to experience this. Luckily, LoLo's is in town. Yep, that's right. Phoenix has a little Roscoe's of their own. Lolo's Chicken & Waffles. A perfect place to celebrate a birthday or two. 
Candice (my little sister) and her husband and two darling children came down for this. (Ok, and maybe to get a car, but let's focus here)... She was none-too-excited, but mercifully chill about this possibly interesting experience.
The outside didn't help. It's down a dark street. With a few bars on the windows. In downtown Phoenix. 
The inside did. What a beautiful awesome, delicious, and fun experience!! Where do we start? With the "Watch yo' Step" sign in the front?

The "Got Milk? Well, LoLo's Do" line on the menu?



 The Red Kool-aid Drank in Mason Jars?


The succulent candied sweet potatoes? The fried okra (which wasn't quite as good as mine)? The most delicious waffles I've ever had?

Or the cheesy eggs with onions? Or the Home Fries? Or the pecan pie for the birthdays? Okay, I'll just show you the pictures. I can't handle it. John at one point asked if I ordered one of everything. The answer was basically yes. Because besides most of this, I also had grits. I took the leftovers home and had eggs, waffles, and Candy Sweets for breakfast this morning.
Lolo's waffles are even tasty on day 2. Oh, so exciting. 

Oh, and this is how the night basically ended. Awww.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few things:

1. Chicken and waffles = Super super amazing (and artery clogging but that's besides the point)

2. I love Candice and Adam and Kaitlynn and Tate. A lot.

3. There is only one word for how John looks in the very last picture. Sexy. Seriously, it's amazing.

RC said...

San Tan Flats and now Lolo's!!!I gotta go and try this one too. Not sure about waffles and chicken together, but the rest sounds good, right down to the red Kool-Aid. Glad you had fun and got to enjoy the grand kids. They are the greatest for sure. The Lords reward for not killing your teenagers!

Byron Lynn said...

I think that I will have chicken and waffles for a treat for my birthday this year......Soul Food!!!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?