Saturday, August 08, 2009

Cricket Farm


There are many different desert animals one might run into in the deserts of Phoenix, AZ. Rabbits, scorpions, coyotes....those types of things.
One animal I did not initially realize who loves this desert heat is THE CRICKET.
And I have come to believe that I live on a cricket farm.
It started quite subtlety. Mostly a cricket or two in the kitchen every other day. Understandable, I think.
Then a few in the living room.
Then, last week, I started to feel overrun. We were killing three a night in our living room.
I had two attack my calves when I went to get water in the middle of the night.
I felt like Pharoah in the midst of a plague.
I bought pest control spray.
Brad sprayed the exterior of our house.
No crickets for one night.
Three days later, I killed four in one night in my bedroom. The last straw was when I went to sent a text message at midnight and one jumped up on my pillow to bask in the light of the phone.
I say the last straw, but, really, is there a way to declare, "CRICKETS, get out of my house; I'm not taking it anymore."
I do think the bug spray may be working, though. I've only killed 2 in the past 4 days.
I hope. I'm sick of living in this cricket farm!!


2 comments:

Jessica McIntyre said...

Hopefully my husband doesn't read this. He would be taking each individual cricket outside. This process does take awhile with the fact that he is afraid of spiders and all other small little bug type creatures.

Me on the other hand, I squish them when he isn't looking.

RC said...

All I could think of when I read this is, "you're wasting good bream bait!" Catch a bunch of these varmits and take them fishing. They make great bait and are sure to bring you some sweet dinner. Like all things in life the Lord sent them to you for a purpose. You just need to figure out what that is. Fortunately you have a dad that can give you some ideas.