Monday, August 03, 2009

A Little Crush on Malcolm Gladwell


I have a little crush on this author. No, I'm not going to track him down. I probably wouldn't even go so far as to think we would be a good couple or that we would have any kind of chemistry. But I do have a little crush. On his brain.
Now, my reading doesn't even come close to Mindy's. I am not a part of her book club or any book club and if I were I probably wouldn't read the books because my whole life comes to a complete and utter halt when I start a book.
But I have read all three of his and I refer to them often and find them the most fascinating collection ever.
#1- Blink- about how your mind knows things before you even realize it, about how your heart rate can distort your decision-making, and about micro-facial expressions.
#2- The Tipping Point- Probably still my favorite. I actually had to read it in nursing school. About how cleaning up a subway can change the crime rate and about how different people communicate in different ways to influence people.
#3- Outliers- about success and what factors affect it. And how success is mostly hard work and unique opportunities. ( I love it, but the middle chapter on Korea is a little long, so I would start with a different book. That's just me.)
I can't decide my favorite musician ever. But I know my favorite writer. If you hang around me for about 2 weeks, I can almost guarantee I will refer to something I learned in one of these books at some point. Brad and both my parents have read them, too. He's just so intriguing!
(Oh, and Amy Bloom is my favorite magazine writer. But her novel was too naughty so I took it back.)

No comments: