Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jury Duty



I had jury duty on Monday. I have somehow escaped this phenomenon until this year, when I received my first jury summons. Apparently it's a high traffic month, because John got his two weeks before, so he gave me some tips:
  • Bring snacks
  • Bring something to do
  • Bring a jacket- it's freezing!
  • Park in the special juror parking garage
So I used my one big purse (thank you Byron & Tara) and loaded up a day's worth of stuff. Even though John got out of there at noon. I was there from 8am until 4:50! Longest day EVER. However, I did meet a nice girl named Claudia and we ate lunch together at Paradise bakery. And I got to hear a lot of very interesting reasons why people could or could not participate in a meth case. Mostly because some family member had been addicted and was serving time or was being charged with murder (seriously!). The trial was only supposed to last two days, but I really wanted to go snowboarding on Tuesday, so I was hoping to not get picked, and I didn't! Whoo-hoo!
It was enough to get to sit in the courtroom with the defendent, the officer, the lawyers, and the judge. That part was kind of cool.
But snowboarding was cooler. And I'll blog about that tomorrow!

1 comment:

RC said...

If you just would have told them your uncle is a meth addict, your dad has the temper of an ax murderer, and other members of the clan are unstable at times, you would have been out of there in minutes. Think child, think.....