Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunrise



So two years ago, Brad and I went snowboarding. It was my first time. I fell a lot, but still had a ton of fun.
On Tuesday, John and I went snowboarding. It might as well have been my first time.
Luckily, it was his, too.
People often ask me why I never snowboarded in Idaho.
1- I didn't know who would teach me
2- My friends and I didn't have equipment
3- I was stinkin' busy
4- It seemed really expensive
5- Good 'boarders don't have that much fun with crappy 'boarders and I didn't really have anyone to go with
Why Arizona is good for learning:
1- It's not that busy
2- Very few people are that good, so it's not too intimidating
3- It's cheap
4- It's warm
So for $52, John and I set off with our borrowed equipment (thanks, Ariana!), and had an hour and a half lesson (with just the two of us....because it wasn't busy)....and boarded all day. In our cool clothes, we felt like studs.
We fell about the same amount of times and waited for each other, and all in all, had an awesome day. We felt like we did really good on the bunny hill, but we were a little unprepared for exiting the ski lift on the bigger run. After completely biffing it, we crawled out of the way just in time to watch everyone else biff it, too. Except, of course, the six-year-old skier and his mom. But they don't count. Eventually we actually did pretty good on the big run, too. John didn't even fall the second time off the lift. I did. I also kind of mastered my "heel edge", though. But not my "toe edge." That's just a good way to fall for now. We also ran into some people from our ward, which, considering we drove 4 hours to get there, was a crazy coincidence.
Our bodies still hurt. I still have bruises on my butt (who knew that was possible?) and a huge one on my knee. Bruised, but not broken. And totally cool. That's us :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, your bruise like a peach. But you both look cool and very brave. Someday i'll be brave. Maybe in my fifties.

RC said...

I saw the buise in person and the picture doesn't even do it justice. It was way worse than what is portrayed here. I think I saw it the day after it happened so maybe that is why. I still have a hard time understanding why ANYONE would purposely go out into the cold and snow (white agony) to have so called "fun". It is just beyond this poor Texas boy.