Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!


This is my cute dad a little younger than I am right now. Isn't he cute? Isn't that hair amazing? So while sitting restlessly through sacrament meeting today, I kept thinking of all the things I love about my dad and my life with him. So here's to RC....(Oh, and I already made my mom promise not to get mad that I didn't think to do this on Mother's Day. She knows I love her so much, too!)
My dad came from a family where "I Love You" and hugs were mostly absent. He married into my mom's family, where a phone call to my Nana always goes like this, "Hi Nana." "Oh, my precious Christin. It is so good to hear your sweet little voice. Verdean!! Christin's on the phone. How are you sweetheart?" That's an inkling of what he encountered. It's a little touchy-feely-mushy-lovey. And oh, my goodness, how it's worn off on him.
My dad joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in July of 1978, a month before he married my mom. It wasn't something that he'd planned on doing (EVER), but he really felt strongly that what he'd been learning was true. It's this conversion that I think developed the character of this man I love so much. In my 28 years, I have watched him serve in several bishoprics. And I have seen him set the most stellar example of Home Teaching ever. And mostly, all this translates to watching how much love my dad elicits from people. At first, he sometimes comes across a little stern, but it doesn't take to long to get to his heart. I have watched him touch the lives of so many people through his selfless service and non-judgmental and loving nature. He gets through to people in ways that no one else can.
He was also a baseball coach, and the love continued there. Not only for the sport (which is also true and deep), but also for each and every one of the boys who coached.
He was mostly my dad. He still says things to me about wondering if he was there for me enough while growing up. He worked hard, he went back to college with 3 kids, and he served many hours in the church. And I always always remember him being there for me. I remember washing the truck in my swimming suit with him in the driveway and going on daddy-daughter dates. I remember dog-pile on daddy (THE BEST GAME EVER), and the way he would make the characters in our bedtime stories always "fluff." We always laughed so hard at that. He loves his new grandkids. Oh my goodness, you can watch his heart melt every time Kaitlynn says,"Papa..." Just ask him how many boxes of Whoppers he's bought for his office in the last 2 years.
When I was 10 we drove to Texas from Florida together when we moved. Mom and Brad and Candice flew. But me and dad lived on cookies and 7up and it was awesome. I even got a little sad when the rest of the family showed up.
When I was 18, my dad drove me to college. He and I drove 1800 miles to College Station, and he dropped me off in a town he'd never seen. I knew that he fully supported me in every decision I made. And he even listened to me talk the entire 20-ish hours we drove. Including reading aloud "Fitness" magazine. And now he even comments on my blog (and sometimes my friends'!)!
Dad likes the lawn immaculate, he ties the perfect bows on dresses, he irons better than anyone I know, and he fixes what needs fixed. He loves my mom, he loves his kids, and he loves the gospel of Jesus Christ.
No wonder I'm not married yet. He shouldn't have set the standard so high.

10 comments:

Jessica McIntyre said...

Just so you know RC, I have actually heard almost all of these stories at lease once before while living with your daughter for 2 years. I think that shows she kinda likes ya. Your daughter if very proud of her Dad (just in case you didn't already know). Happy Fathers Day!!!

Sweet Em said...

You are so right - your Dad is such a great example of Love!

RC said...

I believe you girls are way too nice but I appreciate your thoughts. Christin, as well as my other two children, were just great children and loving them was not difficult. Christin was always the leader of the pack, caring and demanding fairness in all situations. Candice was the negotiator and Brad was just the spoiled only son. Good boy but mama spoiled him something terrible. Gets away with anything and everything even now. Anyway, it was a great tribute and I thank my great daughter for sharing her feelings with all y'all. I am a very lucky man.

Katie said...

what a great dad you have!

breymom said...

Ron,
I think of you like a Dad because you were the male influence in my life outside my family growing up seeing as you were probably my Dad's closest friend! Thanks for all the times you let me come over to your house, I always felt safe and secure there. I also appreciated the blessing you gave me when I was "kicked out" as a teen! Your the funnest and I'm sure you still make "the best macaroni and cheese in the world" LOL

RC said...

I have expanded my culinary arts a bit but Mac n' Cheese is still an art form with me. Your dad and I were very close and I enjoyed our relationship with your family.

Maria said...

We also share in the love...:) What a fun guy--and not that bad at making ribs, either, if I remember correctly. (Or was it just darn good bbq?)

RC said...

ahhhhh, yes, the suculent ribs and brisket. Sort of makes Mac n cheese pale in comparision, no?
It is definately my Texas upbringing that makes the smoker part of life itself. NOTHING beats a good ol' smoked rib, seasoned to delightful perfection! Brisket that melts in your mouth is a very close second. Glad you remembered Maria!

Emily said...

I want Ron to know I tried to make brisket on Christmas Eve and it was NOT so good it made me want to "go home and slap your mama". But I thought of you. I'm a little late reading this post, but Ron's a great guy.

RC said...

Did our little Idaho girl buy a smoker or did you just try it in the oven? Oven brisket is not as good no matter what you do to it. Nothing can beat the smokin' good flavor of oak or pecan wood (or apple if you have it). If you would have married a Texan he might have been able to assist with this delicate process. Let me know if you need pointers. Makin' it good enuf to want to slap yo' mama is hard to do unless you have the blood lines......