Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sunday, August 5th Central Park and Ground Zero





I finally remembered my camera this day, so I have some pictures of my own. Today we went to church in the Manhattan 8th ward. This may have also been the day I realized that the Lincoln Tunnel (and the Holland Tunnel) run UNDER the Hudson River.
Wow. I know that seems obvious to people who may actually know geography, but it wasn't to me, and it made all our rides through it seem that much cooler.
Anyway, so church was in a building 10 blocks from Times. Square and we took the elevator to the 3rd floor. The ward seemed cool, and everybody seemed to have so much style. I swear this place is like walking though a copy of Lucky magazine. :o)
Brad had packed us a lunch, so we sat and ate in the car. While we were eating, this guy walks over to the apartment near us with flowers and groceries and buzzed himself into his friends house. It seemed so out of a movie, so I totally papparazzied him and his picture is here.
Then we walked over to Ground Zero. Again, I thought a memorial had already been built, but apparently 6 years is a little overzealous on my part, and it basically looks like a big construction site at this point. Still, it was interesting to see.
Then we drove over to Central Park. We gave directions to two girls to the subway. Good directions. To Grand Central Station. From 5th Avenue. Across Madison Ave. To Park Ave. It felt so surreal and fun.
Central Park is amazing. Besides the beautiful fountains and stairs, it is so densely green and has such nice feeling to it. We walked around and watched these 40something black women double-dutch jump roping to music. They were so good. There were some crazy people too, but mostly very normal cool people. Sheep's meadow is where they have a lot of concerts, and when we went, there were people playing frisbee and soccer and stuff. Brad and I just sat and played with our cameras to take cool pictures of the skyline. Good day.

2 comments:

Jessica McIntyre said...

First off, where is the picture of the guy with the groceries and the flowers. I must see. You know i am as big a nerd about that stuff as you are.

second, at this point i want to go to New York so bad i can't stand it. AAAAHHHHH

indeazgirl said...

The guy is behind the glass doors in the bottom picture