Monday, March 17, 2008

I LOVE CAMPING- Kayaks



This is my friend Marshall. He had to leave before I got there, but he looks hot in this picture, so it made it to the blog. 

Can two people really fit in a kayak? I know this question has been on your minds, so let me assure you, yes, oh yes, they can. If one of them has really long legs and the other really short ones. Tyler Miller (our cute friend) and I managed to squeeze into one while Shirley rode another one, and everyone else was in the canoe. We actually had to backtrack to get two more people (Brad and Ariana were so tired!) and bring them to a little island for a picnic. (Ariana has sweet pictures of this on her blog.) The picnic was fun, and we are all now super-sunburned, despite sunscreen, and headed home. This time Brad decided to kayak alone. About 5 minutes into our ride, I look over and see Brad in the water, hanging on to his kayak. So Tyler and I row over and help his freezing little butt out of the water and back into his kayak. Now, this water is not warm, which I experienced all the way there, as "wave" after wave splashed into our boat and all over my shorts. But it's not quite as cold as Idaho, and Brad was all right. His phone and camera were both in his pocket, but he took out the batt
eries, took them apart at home, and we found out last night that they both work. yeah! 
You can tell that I depended a lot on other people for this trip because, although I remembered everything they asked me to bring, I forgot for myself:
  • sandals
  • a flashlight
  • a pocketknife
  • a sleeping bag
What the heck was I thinking. Luckily, the only thing I really missed were the sandals. I spent a lot more time in bare feet than I really wanted to. 
The rest of the day was spent just hanging around. Brad and I went fishing on the lake at sunset, which was fun. And 6 of us all snuggled together in the tent for the night. 
Saturday morning we just headed out. 
The thing is this: Getting away from it all takes longer here in Phoenix than in Idaho. I drove for about 2 1/2 hours before the highways seemed any kind of empty. Highway 82, however, is beautiful. If I could wiggle my nose, and just fly down that road a couple times a week, I would love it so much. Next time I go to Patagonia lake, I need to make more time for the stars. 
It was a beautiful trip, and a very good time. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you definitely didn't mention the amazing trail mix! I'm SO glad you came and that even after a horrific drive that you made it there and had a good time. :]

Jessica McIntyre said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Lots of fun pictures.