Monday, March 17, 2008

Rhubarb Explosion



So our guest list changes a lot. People sign up and forget and make other plans so we end up calling around a lot. Especially the week of spring break. So our guests for this week were: Doug, who likes rhubarb and thus secured an invite, Madison, who actually remembered, and Emily and John, who I had met that day at church.
I had three new foods yesterday:
  • Jerusalem Artichokes (look like ginger root, texture of potatoes, taste like artichoke hearts)
  • Truffle Oil (Remember the movie No Reservations where she buys truffles for $2200 a pound? We were a little worried about how much exactly truffle oil was going to put us back, but at $14 for a little bottle of "olive oil infused with white truffle aroma", we did okay. (It was still really strong!)
  • Rhubarb. My mom says I just don't remember having this as a child, but I don't think I ever did. 
The menu consisted of: 
Jerusalem Artichoke soup drizzled with truffle oil
Pot Roast (which Brad did a great job at) with Baked Yukon Gold potatoes stuffed with bacon, sage, garlic, an anchovy filet, and lemon zest. Stuffing all this stuff into these potatoes would have been a sweet picture that I just didn't think about. 
Rhubarb Fool: Pureed boiled rhubarb with sugar layered with homemade whipped cream.
So once in a while we have a sweet story to go along with the preparation. Usually it involves some kind of smoke or melting. This week, I poured the chopped boiled rhubarb directly from the stove into the blender and hit puree. The lid exploded off and I was covered it searing hot rhubarb. Brad was like, "I Don't Know What to Do!" I was like, "Close your eyes so I can take my shirt off; this is burning me!!" I was covered in pink from head to toe and ran into the shower. It did somehow come out of my clothes (which were white and pale yellow. ahhh!) and the burn on my chest is almost gone. We didn't capture the excitement of the mess, but here's a picture of the burn and the party. (The food was great, by the way :o) ) My face looks more red, but that's my sunburn, not the food. 

5 comments:

Katie said...

sooo sorry about your rhubarb burn!!

Maria said...

Holy COW! OUCH!! OUCH! OUCH! Is it all healed up by now?

Jessica McIntyre said...

I am speechless.

Suzette Selden said...

Christin,
I wish I could come to one of your dinners! They sound so dang good!!!

Madison said...

That was so much fun! You can seriously call me everytime a person cancels! Thank you so much for having me over!