Sunday, November 09, 2008

Forced Into Silence

In 1st grade, I was shy. I couldn't speak up, and my handwriting was so tiny no one could read it, a small sign of my child-like insecurity.
At Some Point This Wore Off. 
Today I woke up and was forced into silence. Something had taken over my vocal cords, rendering my generally loud and clear voice a pathetic and tiny whisper. This has proven to be completely paralyzing. 
And completely hilarious to everyone else. 
I made it through church, making no comments whatsoever. I had considered bearing my testimony. But could not. Brad refused to make the comments I whispered to him during Sunday School, completely altering my church experience. And making me a better listener, I'm sure. 
The volume in our home has dropped drastically, even with company. Apparently when one person who talks a lot whispers, a universally reverent tone becomes the standard. 
And people expect me to talk. Our neighbor came over to give us some extra cantaloupe. And nobody got up. They just waited for me to do it. Even though I didn't answer the door and I didn't have a voice!! Eventually I got up and whispered to our neighbor. I guess I've set some kind of pattern that's hard to break. 
While making cookies in the kitchen while Brad and friends talked in the living room, I occasionally couldn't help it and made a little comment. Only to be greeted with, "What? What is that noise? Is Christin talking? Somebody go in there and see what she said." 
Brad finally said, "Christin, just clap when you're getting ready to talk so we can be listening." 
Ok.
So sad. 
I'm not used to people saying "What?" Ever. 
And that's all I've heard the past 24 hours. I feel like I'm fading already. 

7 comments:

Maria said...

Oh! I'm so sorry you're sick! Do you feel yucky, too?

MindySue said...

that is the best story EVER! well, not the you being sick part...but just how different your day was w/o your voice..and how aware it made you. what an interesting experiment...pretend you did it on purpose. ;)

Sweet Em said...

The clapping comment made me LOL...ha ha ha. I hope this only lasts a short time!

Jessica McIntyre said...

This is hilarious.

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

Yes you are quiet... but your presence is just as loud and as beautiful as ever.

Anonymous said...

LOve it!!! That is so stinking funny. It's one thing for a person who is normally not very talkative to loose thier voice but quite another for you. Kaitlynn has inherited your natural volume. Really loud all the time. If you could please send a swab of your quiet disease to our house so that I can wipe it on her that would be ideal.

breymom said...

Christin,
That is sooo long to be without a loud voice... I'd DIE! I've tried it intentionally before and couldn't do it!