Sunday, October 18, 2009

I GOT KICKED OFF THE FREAKING LIGHT RAIL

THE LIGHT RAIL. YEP. I. Got. Kicked. OFF. THE. LIGHT RAIL!!!!!!!
Oh, I was so mad. Yes, it's now 5 days later. It doesn't mean I'm not still a little pissed.
Let's go back to the beginning.
Monday night John asks if I would like him to take me to school the next day. Of course! It would be so fun to see him before we both went to school (we go to different campuses). So he came over at about 7:30. We went to Paradise bakery and had muffins and milk and it was so great.
It was nice because
a) I didn't have to ride the light rail OR pay for parking
b) He smells so nice in the morning :-)
BUT
b)I used a different backpack because I had so much stuff to carry.
This is a U PASS.
It lets you ride the whole semester for $40.
It was in my other backpack.
But I didn't care, because John was coming to pick me up. At 8pm.
Unfortunately, I got out at 6:30, and John was exhausted and napping. Brad wasn't answering his phone because he was at softball. And there's nobody else I'm close enough to to make them drive downtown to come get me just because I don't want to ride the light rail that night.
So I just hopped on.
Let me clarify: It costs about $1 to ride the light rail either direction. There are a LOT of shady looking people who ride that thing who have never so much as considered actually paying for the ride. There is no driver checking tickets, but occasionally a cop comes by and asks for proof that you paid. This is pretty rare.
And I almost made it home. I was four stops away when I got "caught." And then I explained my situation and he didn't care at all. He actually told me not to cry and then made me get off. And then made me buy an 85 cent pass so he didn't give me a ticket. And as soon as he walked away, I cried like crazy. Maybe I'm a girl. Maybe I was particularly emotional that day. Maybe I was so FRUSTRATED that he told me I was "stealing services." Really?? I'm prepaid, dude. I'm not stealing! I'll beep my little pass twice next time.
I got back on with my 85 cent pass and walked home through the semi-scary neighborhood with my MAC on my back. I cried to Brad, to John, and to Bridget. Maybe I was being a baby.
Or maybe people shouldn't kick me off my freaking public transportation!!
Freaking Light Rail.

7 comments:

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

This was kind of amusing... and scary. This reminds me about how I'm scared that merchandise will fall into my bag while I'm at a store, and get wrongly accused for stealing. Or how in the beginning of the year the Institute teachers are super strict and somewhat rude out by the parking garage entrance, and one time I forgot to get my card out and they kept telling me that I needed a parking pass to park here. Rudely. It was kind of annoying.

Jessica McIntyre said...

When we went to Portland we were so confused because we didn't know how they knew if you paid or not. I would have been so upset to.

I wish we had something like there here. Not exactly sure where it would go since our downtown isn't that big. . .

Anonymous said...

I don't know why you were so upset. You knew you didn't have your pass, so you should have just bought a day-pass before you got on. That guy wasn't being mean, he was just doing his job. The main thing, from what I can tell, is that you were just mad you got caught.

indeazgirl said...

You're right. I was just mad I got caught. And had to essentially double pay. For circumstances somewhat beyond my control.
And this is my blog. Where I'm venting. AND where I'd also like those who choose to post somewhat critical comments to stand behind them with their NAME.
Or I'll delete you.
Just. Like. That.

Travis Butterfield said...

p.s. you probably figured out that it was me who wrote the anonymous comment. don't be mad. I was just messing around. sorry if I offended you. it seems like I've been doing that a lot lately. me and my big mouth. I honestly didn't mean anything by any of what I said. I think you're awesome.

indeazgirl said...

Travis-
I know your habits. Of course I knew it was you. And I don't mind if you tell me I'm being a baby or shouldn't be mad. That's fine. I just don't like you sneaking in all "Anonymously" to give your opinion.
All good.
Christin
p.s. You should have stayed for the talent show. It was classic.

RC said...

I guess if you do the crime you should do the time....
Seriously, did you think a cop is going to believe you and just let you ride?? Come on, you're way smarter than that. You're not in Boise anymore. Tempe is the big city, you'll have to learn to obey the big city rules.