Saturday, October 31, 2009

School by Wiki

As I sit here considering writing the four page paper I have due tomorrow (and positively ecstatic about it), I thought I would let a few of you know just what might have changed since you were last in school, even as lately as 2007.
1- You Tube. You wouldn't think that YouTube would be a valuable source of information, but since I was last in school, teachers now LINK to YouTube. Want to see hyperactive reflexes? Type in Clonus into YouTube. Want to learn how to do a physical exam? Type in Bates Respiratory Assessment. Pneumonia diagnosis here we come. To quote Brad, "Who would have thought you could become a doctor on YouTube?"
2- Wikipedia. I love wikipedia. I don't really care if my professors don't. If I don't understand what the spinothalamic tract is, Wiki explains it better than any book I have. It tells me clearly about most diseases and I feel incredibly educated most of the time I look up something there. I always check it in the book, but it has yet to be wrong.
3- Google. We have a lot of open book tests in this program, and sometimes I swear the answer isn't in the book. But I can type in any phrase at all (ex: "platelets in the bone marrow") and find that the answer is myeloma. After spending 15 minutes trying to find it in the book. Or if I happen to be doing the quiz somewhere else. Done. And Done.
That's not all, but that's huge. It makes me actually feel a little old that I am so impressed by all this, but it is so fabulous that I can watch videos from another university online if I need clarification. I love school by wiki!

No comments: