Sunday, August 24, 2008

Contact High















Bridget and I went and saw Dave Matthews perform last night. Oh wonderfulness. One thing I have quite the deficit of in my life is concert experiences. Luckily, Bridget knew this one was coming up and woke me up on Saturday afternoon...
And we then proceeded to get the party started. 
First, we got amazing tickets off Craigslist. Center Center I would say. And we got a smokin' deal 'cause he hit really bad traffic and we missed the opening band and told him that we were deducting a dollar off for every minute after 7:40 he showed up. We were kidding, but he basically said ok. 
We ended up waiting like 3 hours in the parking lot in which we met a cute guy with a cowboy hat with a shirt that said "Sasquatch stole my underpants," who offered us a hamburger after we just downed Whataburger. Sadness. 
A couple guys in casts also limped by. The one on crutches crashed on a mountain bike. The one on a leg scooter (?) had a slightly more interesting story. "Well," he said, "I got extremely drunk at a party and decided to go streaking and got tackled by a neighbor and broke my ankle." We were laughing so hard. It might have been a lie, but then again, maybe not. He seemed pretty sincere. And we met another lady who gets very friendly when drinking at  Dave concerts and came over and put her hand on my thigh and told me it was okay if I cried at the concert. Because sometimes Dave can do that to you. 
And really, in all honesty, this concert almost did. 
So the saxphone player for the band, LeRoi Moore, died on Tuesday the 19th. This was their 4th show since his death, and was very emotional. Lots of the songs were about death, dying, heaven, and souls. And so intense. There was so much energy there. (And a lot of pot...) I realized how many Dave songs I actually didn't know (here's the set list). Bridget, on the other hand, knew them all. Mostly I just danced and sang along when I could figure out the words. 
It was such a great experience; I am so amazed at the combination of talent of the band; the smiling guitarist, the new saxophonist and his 3 saxophones, the violinist and his gorgeous arms, and Dave, the sexiest 41-year old to ever come out of South Africa and grace us all with that delicious mouth voice. 


3 comments:

ashley said...

it sounds like you had such a great time!!! josh and i were talking about how we would have loved to go to one of their concerts....lucky lady!

breymom said...

I'm losing my computer this weeks so, I'm going to miss your exciting BOLOGS. I love how you meet the most interesting people LOL

MindySue said...

and yet again you've made me wax nostalgic for the single life. what are concerts...what are those like? i can't seem to remember. i love your blogs. you are such a fun, talented writer!