Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Training Really Begins


Here is a sweet picture of the 2006 See Jane Run Triathlon. There are currently 38 days or 920 hours until the 2008 version begins. Which means besides my few dips into the pool, it's time to get in gear. A little refresher: in 2005 I did the "Y Not Tri" triathlon. It is a tiny triathlon. 440 yd swim, 6 mile bike, and a 2 mile run. I did it in 56 minutes with a month of training. Considering I'd never had a swimming lesson or run 2 miles before making this decision, I did okay. 
Except that I really thought I was about to drown the entire time I was swimming. It was, my friends, completely terrifying. And the whole rest of the race I thought, "Wow. I could be doing so much better had I not just almost drowned back there." 
This one will be the same length swim, 11 miles of biking, and 3 miles running. 
Swimming is still the hardest part for me. Luckily, Bridget and Ariana lent me their expertise a few weeks ago, which helped a bit. As well as Robert in January (see post) which also helped a lot. But now Bridget and I have swam together twice at a nice pool in Scottsdale (I still miss Gold's on Parkcenter) and I have to say she has been the best swimming coach ever. We used kick boards and paddles and now, apparently, I make the correct splashes in the water and look like a swimmer. 
Excitement! : Yesterday we were at the gym and while I was swimming, the lady in the lane next to us says, "I wish I could swim like you two." Yeah!! That means I didn't look like I was drowning! I looked like a SWIMMER! 
See Jane Run here we come!!
(oh, and in the January post I didn't swim that triathlon in May because the water in Tempe Town Lake has a pH that is generally unsafe for swimming and scares me. Contrasted to the California water in which I will be swimming, which is lovely!)

6 comments:

Jessica McIntyre said...

Oh my gosh I am so proud of you. Maybe when I grow up I can learn to swim. Just an FYI, it drives Nate crazy that I don't know how to swim. I can't wait to here how your triathlon goes yet sad that I won't be able to watch you do it this time.

breymom said...

Will Bridget and Ariana go with you? That's coming up so soon. Are you flying to Ca.? That sounds so cool! I wish I were going and I really wish I could swim, bike, or least of all run even a third that far! Did you ever get a soft bike seat?

Katie said...

you go girl! bob ran in two triathlons this summer... it's nuts!

RC said...

I am sure you will do well. I suppose to answer the question on flying to California....They don't know you. I am sure you will bike there first or swim the Colorado just to prove you can do it. I worry about your sanity at times but I suppose you are the only one in the family that can lay claim to running these death defying races. Our prayers will be with you.

Anonymous said...

I love that your dad calls this a death defying race. It makes it seem even cooler.

MindySue said...

so i'm COMPLETELY impressed. i could never EVER do a triatholon. Mostly i'm the opposite of you. i would so much rather swim 3 miles than run it. any day of the week. still, its awesome that you have decided to do this. i'll cheer you on from afar.