Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fried Okra and Root Beer

















So Ariana and I joined a CSA this fall/summer. It's a little agreement (I know lots of you know) where a local farmer shares some of his crops with you every week for a couple hundred bucks a season. Which is why we (and everyone else I know who's done this) decided to split the cost.
We were so excited about all the new adventurous food we were going to get to try. We didn't, however, plan on all the okra. We get okra every single week. A little pint of okra waiting to be enjoyed when, really, I've only had it in gumbo and I'm not all over making gumbo every week of my life.
And on Friday night I was starving. A 1:30 in the morning. Because usually this is my lunchtime. Ariana and I were discussing lunch potentials, and it was looking grim. Until I had a glorious idea. FRIED OKRA! Being from Texas, I really always have found it somewhat appalling that I had never tasted fried okra. I felt like a fake Texan, and it was time to remedy the situation. I found Paula Deen's recipe on Food Network (I mean, who else would provide a worthy recipe?), and Ariana ran next door to grab her cornmeal and 2 pints of okra.
We used ALL our okra and fried it to perfection. In 4 batches. (The second was the best, in case you were wondering. Best if it's not too crispy.)
And the thing is this. I was out of water. The cooler had run dry. I had bottled water. Warm. I did have 3 cans of root beer that had been sitting in the fridge for about 6 months. We don't drink a lot of soda around here.
Oh, but let me tell you what is excellent. Fried okra with a little Tony's and delicious cold root beer. In the time it usually takes for me to drink 3 sips, I drank a whole can. And it was AWESOME! mmmm....

3 comments:

Sweet Em said...

Our recurrent veggie is Kale and Swiss Chard... No. More. Kale.

Jessica McIntyre said...

ya we don't drink a lot of soda around my house either.lol

That is so fun that you joined a CSA. I am so jealous. You won't think they would be as expensive here but they are.

I have never had okra. I should try it sometime.

RC said...

I think the Okra thing is cool but I would have had Pepsi instead of Root Beer!